Otocinculus

Caprichoso

Personally I wouldn't trust the zebras with baby shrimp - have found several articles suggesting that they be fed live or frozen foods - such as shrimp to supplement their diets. Golden otos however are almost exclusively vegetarian and the chances of them munching on baby shrimp would be pretty remote unless they had no algae or plants to eat. The zebras apparently have more teeth than the other otos so it is a matter of all the better to eat you with.

For all you oto fans here is a pretty extensive article on them - http://fishprofiles.com/articles/A Word About Otocinclus -Upda/59/

I noticed that only part of the link got hilited - make sure to enter the whole thing or it takes you to a page saying it can't be found.

Personally I wouldn't trust the zebras with baby shrimp - have found several articles suggesting that they be fed live or frozen foods - such as shrimp to supplement their diets. Golden otos however are almost exclusively vegetarian and the chances of them munching on baby shrimp would be pretty remote unless they had no algae or plants to eat. The zebras apparently have more teeth than the other otos so it is a matter of all the better to eat you with.

For all you oto fans here is a pretty extensive article on them - http://fishprofiles.com/articles/A Word About Otocinclus -Upda/59/

I noticed that only part of the link got hilited - make sure to enter the whole thing or it takes you to a page saying it can't be found.

Fixed link:

http://fishprofiles....lus%20-Upda/59/

Do you have any golden Otos available?

Interesting discussion! Not to derail the conversation but does anyone have zebra otos right now? And/or has anyone had any success in breeding them? I was thinking that this might be a great little project if I could track them down in Edmonton.

Nature's Corner is the only store that I know of that gets them in with any kind of regularity. Zebra Ottos tend to be seasonal, and I only really see them a couple times a year. Spencer Jack also gets them on his list every once in a while.

There is currently a great thread on PlanetCatfish on breeding Ottos.

I have 4. They are definetely in the queue for breeding, but mostly just letting them grow right now. Waiting to see if there is any spontaneous spawning in the community tank they are in, then will set them up in a breeding tank.

Do you have a link to that thread Jason? I'll go look there, but I suck at finding stuff! :boxed:

Also, thanks Harold. I agree with your thinking but the resistance was strong, and I really don't know enough about the species to throw down on the matter. And I haven't the time to PROVE that they will .

Dan

My spouse came home with a surprise, lol, don't know how to feel about this:S....4 oto's! They are the dwarf variety....is that the type I was supposed to get? The person at the pet store convinced my spouse this was what we were looking for. I was scared to put them in my shrimp tank without knowing for sure so they went on the big tank. Anyway, they are really small, I think I would have to get many more to have them make any difference in the algae. My betta and pearls were very interested in them at first, talk about giving me a heart attack, lol! But then they left them alone and everyone is happy. One strange thing with these little guys is they REALLY liked (or hated) my mountain minnows. They chased/followed them around quite a bit the first day, so not sure what that's all about? More advice...help, what a noob eh? Lol.

The thread started over a year ago, and it's a great read all the way through! http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29245

Cap, if you can catch those little guys again, they should be fine in your shrimp tank. AFIK, and what's been discussed, is that zebra ottos are the only ones that MAY have a taste for shrimpies.

chances are they are the 'regular' (golden?) otos. Can you take a digital picture and post it?

The otos seem to be really proficient at chewing through algae, so don't underestimate them! haha!

They were labeled at Big Al's as "Otocinculus". No other name attached. Right now they are only 1 inch long....as for posting a pic...I'll try to figure out how to do it...these forums confuse me with posting pics, can never seem to do it.

The thread started over a year ago, and it's a great read all the way through! http://www.planetcat...php?f=5&t=29245

Cap, if you can catch those little guys again, they should be fine in your shrimp tank. AFIK, and what's been discussed, is that zebra ottos are the only ones that MAY have a taste for shrimpies.

Sounds good,

Thank you:)