Asian Arowana's

GIJester

I'm not to picky which color combo I end up getting, but asian arowana's are beautiful and tend to stay a bit smaller. My 180 has taken off beatifully - sandy base with some show rocks and good planting - custom built hood that holds good lighting and lets nohting out.

I see reds cost the most, the majority of me research shows theres a few color combos avaliable. but I was mostly just wondeirng, where is a good place to get a arowana in Calgary without spending a mortgage payment?

within the next 2 years I plan on having a 300+ Gallon built for holding my bigger babies. and I'm trying to avoid Jardini due to aggression

Edited by GIJester

How much do you want to spend? Riverfront brings them in often, but you'll be paying a lot. If you try Gold's they will order you one in for the best price in Calgary aside from a private sale. Or you can try bringing some in on your own if you're into having more of a headache. ;)

Green arowanas are cheap. If you shop around for a RTG here on AA and local adds, you can most likely get one for a good price. They show up for sale here once in a while. Just keep your eye out.

Well, I dont want to spend to much, hoping to get a younger one so I can watch him grow up (also gives me more time to get a bigger tank built). I do like the greens, and as I said have no problem with any color as they are all beautiful animals.

I'll just keep trolling up the classifieds on many sites - thanks guys :)

I would say crossbacks are the most expensive Arowanas unless we're talking albinos but that's another story. If you're trying to avoid aggression, I would stay away from Greens as well. I believe Super Reds are the least aggressive but all will depend on the individual's temperment.

I see you're going to Red Deer, you could contact Bret at Shine Aquatics, he brings in great Aros. He supplies most of the Asian Arowanas at Pisces, check them out and you'll get an idea of his stock. He carries higher end Arowanas but still great value for the money. Good luck.

Ron

The one thing i recomend is using a sump system for your tank or at least on a your new tank. There is a huge bio load with aro's and larger fish. This is just somthing i wish i had on my 230 gallon tank when i was keeping asian aro's,datnoids, and rays. The canisters i used just didn't seem to be enough.

I know of a few highback redtail golds for sale ;)

even a classic or two..... PM me if interested

These are the kinds of local postings I was talking about earlier! I think the best deals on asian arows, is to buy from another hobbyist who took care of it well.

PM'd and thanks for the advice.

the new tank (pending time and house) I planned on sumping - but also taking the time to build into my home and run some decent plumbing to make my life easy (if your gonna put in money and effort might as well spend more up front and make it less work later).... to which I will probably have plumbing professionally run - then again for help setting up sump and first real built in tank and sump I tend to be fond of finding experienced people and paying in beer and foodstuffs :P

until then the 180 will have to do, all my little guys will be rehoused... unless the arro is small - then Im sure most of my angels and Tetra's can hold there own for a bit.

Thanks for the time and input - I always keep and eye and ear open for advice :)

• 4 weeks later...