Orange Head Geophagus

FISHLIPS

I was in Big Als about 2 months ago when i seen some orange head geophagus that were about 2"s long and their heads were actually orange unlike the ones I bought from them 6 months ago that are 3-3.5"s long and aren't showing any orange yet,after googling i've seen pics of these fish that look like both groups i've seen,so are there 2 different orange head species?

I paid $14 for each and those ones were $25

There also is the possibility that they little guys are full of hormones. It happens quite a bit, depending on the farm they came from. The faster the breeder gets color out of them, the sooner he can sell them. I've seen a whack of peacocks at stores where the male is maybe 2 inches and almost colored up. Its kind of sad. Hopefully Vince is correct. But feed them a quality food like NLS and give it some time. They will eventually get there.

Edited by Jayba

There are in fact two different variants of G. "orange heads". The most common, and certainly the most desirable is the G. Tapajos Orange Head which originates from the Rio Tapajos River. G. sp. Araguaia Orange Head, which is sometimes referred to as "Tapajos II", has far less orange on its head (almost none at all), has a longer lateral spot, is generally slimmer than the Tapajos, and its upper head profile is more rounded. (as per Thomas Weidner)

This species is monomorphic, and typically the first to color up will be the most dominant fish (both males & females) in the group. Social rank plays a large role in overall coloration. Males generally grow larger, and will have longer, more pointed, fin extensions.

I wouldn't be overly concerned if your group aren't showing a lot of color yet at 3-3.5", but for the reason that jay just mentioned I would be concerned if I saw a tank full of 2" juvies all showing bright orange/red heads.

HTH

thanks guys/girls..... after googling a bunch i think my orange heads aren't what they were sold me as!!!!

they look precisely like the Abalios geo,which i don't mind but they grow to 10" plus in size!!!

GOOD OLE BIG ALS!!!!

They are still very beautiful and extremely interesting,I have pics of them under "sa/ca cichlids" that i posted awhile back so feel free to examine and give your thoughts.I looked on youtube at them and I think that's what I have because of the dark band that's vertical on the eye and the coloring is pretty much exact.

thanks again

ps......I think a couple are trying to pair up.....doing the shimmy/skake and biting on ornaments......show offs!!!!

fishlips, here are a couple photos of my geophagus sp. red head tapajos. These were purchased from Spencer Jack close to a year ago or sooner, I can't remember anymore.

_MG_4265.jpg

_MG_4249.jpg

Please excuse the algae spots on the glass :)

thanks Ray,my fish are very similar in appearance, but i see yours have a little orange on the head where as mine do not.It could be mine are younger,also yours have (could be the photo) a more sloped forehead which could be the age diff. aswell.My fish are creeping up on the 4" mark,how long/old are your fish.

my fish have been diggin a pit for 4 days now but no eggs unless the others ate them.....they are still doin their cichlid ritual though.My 5" severum continues to pester them in their moment but i cant move him into my 100gal with the other severums because they fight.

maybe if 0ne of us have a successful spawn we can trade a few to shake up the blood lines

thanks

oooh also my fish have a bright blue upper lip

Edited by FISHLIPS