A Very Personal Shrimp Question ;p

Caprichoso

Ok, I have to ask this as I absolutely cannot find the info anywhere online. I recently got a whole lotta shrimpies and they have some odd behaviour. Please tell me what this is all about...y'know, if it's the "birds and bee's" kinda thing....

Random male shrimps jump on the back of another shrimp (female AND male)...and just holds on for almost a minute. While holding on, the male shrimp on top taps the other shrimps head with it's front feet. Sometimes the bottom shrimp just starts walking around, la di dah, like all is normal AND the best yet (couldn't take a pic fast enough), was a THIRD shrimp got on top of the second shrimp which was in top of the first shrimpshifty.gif.... and the bottom one was just walking around! With 2 shrimps on it's back! I've heard of shrimp mating with the male UNDER the female but this? Well, I just don't know.

When I first saw this, I thought they were attacking and trying to kill eachother but they eventually let go and go about their merry way and no one is harmed.

Ok, you can laugh know...but seriously, I don't know if this is bow chicka wow wow w00t.gifor some kind of other issue or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might know one of the reasons for this behaviour now. I've discovered that they ride around on each other a lot more at feeding time. Sometimes if one shrimp detects that another one has food, it will jump on top of the other shrimp's back and try to steal it away. If it can't get the food, it just stays on the shrimp for awhile, grabbing little particles off the face of the shrimp that has the food. Since we started our shrimp breeding tanks, I've spent a lot of time watching them and I find them to be totally fascinating little creatures!