Legalities Of Catching Wildlife For Tank?

macdre

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds fairly unanimous that transportation of aquatic animals is illegal. Does anyone know the possible reasoning behind the law?

i read somewhere that they ban transportation of live fish because people were doing illegal stocking and it lead to spread of disease and if you throw pike in a trout lake......it will soon be a pike lake!!!!

i also remember reading about boat launches having a "spray down" of boats entering lakes,this spray down was meant to kill or wash away anything that could be transfered lake to lake......in Ontario if i remember right?

my understanding is they do not want you to just dump something in any lake or pond you see fit. be like dumping our fish in a lake and having them take over elk lake on vancouver island is full of perch cuz some one put some in there and there is nothing to eat them.

I just thought , my snakeheads are big nasty eating machines, why not try and simulate a local predator and its habitat, Im sure th transportation issue is the same as why snakeheads arent allowed in th states anymore, the possibility of release in an ecosystem that it would destroy , however there has to be a way to get them for your tank, im not worried about housing it if need be i would buy an ocean liner of a tank or build a plywood one. feeding it cant be more expensive than these snakeheads, so there has to be a way to obtain fry or small pike/walleye, whatever the case may be.

I am sure there is a way, rules and regs were made by the government lol there has to be loop holes, maybe if you said it was for reasearch of a local/native species, im gonna call fish and game here in the nxt day or so and find out what they have to say,

on another note when i was younger and back in bc, i caught a small mouth bass from a stocked lake, brought him home in my beer cooler and kept him for a whole year and then the next year i relased him in the same lake and i bet that bass never ate so good, im sure i will get poo poo'd for saying so but he was a cool pet for that season, and i thouroghly enjoyd feeding him all sorts of goodies out of my garden.

anyways

good chat people, i still cant figure out why it would be okay to fop them on the head and eat them or whatever you do with those fish but actaully taking care of it would be no good. I dont get it

It sounds fairly unanimous that transportation of aquatic animals is illegal. Does anyone know the possible reasoning behind the law?

Yeah im from vancouver island aswell and elk lake is bad, but im not planning on introducing a new species here just trying to raise a local fish indoors not some alien species

my understanding is they do not want you to just dump something in any lake or pond you see fit. be like dumping our fish in a lake and having them take over elk lake on vancouver island is full of perch cuz some one put some in there and there is nothing to eat them.

Yeah im from vancouver island aswell and elk lake is bad, but im not planning on introducing a new species here just trying to raise a local fish indoors not some alien species

You don't get it man, it's layed out quite clearly by one of the previous posts. It is illegal! There are no loop holes, you just can not do it. There has been so many problems in this province when it comes to our lakes, with illegal stockings it just shouldn't be tried.... Besides even though you say your not going to relocate fish, doesnt mean you won't. Why not look and get a gar or something it kinda looks like a pike, and has a nice toothy grin for yah

:beer:

macdre thanks for bringing up this post it has to be brought up once and a while. It gives everyone a chance to hear the rules and regulations of fish keeping. I would check into similar species to what we have here that you can import, ?How about a Nile perch (huge fish), peacock bass (crazy fast eaters, very fun to watch),florida gar all need a large tank and eat a ton....

When i was a kid i caught some perch and brought them home in a pale. we placed them in a friends pond, what a beautiful fish. 2 weeks later in the city of calgary a Blue Heiron landed in his back yard and ate all the perch. Never bothered trying that again....

I've seen walleye kept in a guys backyard pond, along with a horseface sucker caught out of the north sask river....

The pond is about 1200 gallons ...

Its still illegal and tottally wrong

The law makes sense to me. It would seem to me the intent of the law doesn't extend to fish that may also upset the balance of an ecosystem if they are imported. Snakeheads are legal in most of Canada and yet the government is on alert that introduced populations in the US may make it into Canadian waters. There was a small panic about it a few weeks ago but it was a false alarm. If you don't watch river monsters, they have one or two episodes highlighting how a foreign species was dumped into local waters (like the snakehead) and it is destroying the ecosystem. I think the asian carp was another one. Anyways, the law makes sense but I am sure it could be extended a bit further.

Its not that i dont understand th laws and regs as far as transportation of an alien species, but this is a local fish, that if released would simply carry out a normal life in a normal habitat. if anything here my snakeheads would be more dangerous but im not a dipsh*t here no one is planning on releasing anything

and for all who suggested why not this species and that species i appreciat the feed back however my goal was to emulate a local predator and its surroundings not just pick a mean/pretty fish, there are thousands of fish that i could go buy for sh*ts and giggles but i was looking to replicate a local predator. just by looking and listening to the posts from other members it simply doesnt seem worth the stink, i just think it is stupid that an aquarist trying to replicate a local predator and it habitat is poo poo'd .

and yes florida gars are cool. and peacock bass dont really turn my crank

im thinking i will just get something else such as an arrowana or some more snakeheads...maybe someone has thoughts on what the next big mean SOB might be. Im just so tired of the same crap , cichlids, piranhas,I want something unique and a convrsation piece, and interesting to watch , I want my people to come in my house and be" wtf is that" lol and have something different.

and to whomever posted the licencing information thanks again however pike are not part of that deal so no dice.

and its regarding ponds not th aquarium group i got some funny responces on the phone..

I appologize looking back the EEEEE on my keyboard is frapping out here not gonna bother with spelling and grammartongue_out.giftongue_out.giftongue_out.gif

In my previous post up top (which I did not describe very well), I give a link to the Government of Alberta website that specifically lists the species you can keep, the restrictions and the fees associated.

It is perfectly legal to keep cultured native fish, providing it's within these (small) boundaries.

EDIT: I did say "wild" in my previous post, but I'm incorrect there. Wherever you get them, it has to be from a cultured farm or breeder, not from a natural location.

Edited by heff

I think it was hassey lake out past spruce grove had to be limed to kill all fish species because someone dumped stikkleback in the lake.. also in stalbert they have some pond next to the big lake they want to lime because they dont want a species to get into big lake sturgeon river...

also in banff there is a hotspring that people put tropical fish in... they put extinct the native fish that were there...

I would be totally pissed if they had to lime my lake because someone thouught it would be cool to raise pike then decide to get rid of them in the closest lake when they get to big

Edited by Moutain Dew

I don't always think intentions are bad when releasing these fish but people just don't realize what they affect...And in rare cases people actually embrace the introduced specie.

Bass in bc was introduced....how many of you have went to osoyoos or duck lake to catch bass?....