Legalities Of Catching Wildlife For Tank?

macdre

I was sitting here looking at my bullseye snakeheads in my tank and thought why wouldnt a pike or walleye be a cool thing in a tank, pike , vicious and basically eating machines might be a cool thing to try and raise in a tank set up lik local water.

so can you ?

heat ? like where they live is basically frozen right?, sorry im new to alberta , but im assuming it aint no where near room temp.

water chillers???

i dont know but if anyone has any thoughts, ideas, ways to succeed at it perhaps im not the only on, and of course any legal knowledge would be helpful

not trying to explain to fish and wildlife that its okay , its for my fish tank , he will be well treated.. lol

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha yeah i know they get big, im not worried,

i guess thats gotta be the way happen to know where to look up local hatcheries??

your best bet maybe to buy a fish from one of those fish farms that you can pay and catch fish at. other wise you might have that chat with fish and wiled life and you know pike get rather big right?

I know a couple people who've kept Trout in large tanks inside. They didn't last long, as room temp is quite a bit too warm for them to be happy. Water temps in AB can get quite high, but low 70s is probably the typical UPPER range. Most of the year, 60s is typical. To keep them happiest, several months in the 50s would be ideal.

A large tank or indoor pond in the basement might work. There are some neat ideas for DIY Chillers out there, too. :)

You should check the alberta fishing regulations before doing so. I believe there is something in about game fish, I am not positive but I don't think you can legally do it. That being said years ago my brother and I caught a small burbot while at the lake. We brought it home, and after a month or some it went crazy and died. Probally an ammonia spike because we knew very little about what we were doing.

As for keeping walleye, good luck most lakes in alberta you can't keep them legally anymore, so keeping and catching a small one would be illegal, and the same goes for pike there are size restrictions.

Unless you have a tank as large as the one at Big Al's that is just cruel. Being a fisherperson, I know how big these fish get, plus they are cold water fish. In a basement, you could "maybe" try for some of the smaller shiners or minnows. That way you won't be "that guy" ...y'know, that guy who puts Oscars and other huge fish in a tank that's wayyy too small. cry1.gif Sorry, just sayin.. Now, you may be dedicating a huge pond to them, and in that case, I retract my comment.

Well after much hate mail and such lol i have decided to scraap the thought

I don`t think you have the space, equipment or legalities to own a Pike. It`s illegal to own a native species here, they can be quite strict with it and you could be looking at jail time if your caught with a specimen.

Here is a good site about Ontario native fish which has pretty much all Alberta's native fish on it. The Esox americanus vermiculatus look's to be a good candidate for the aquarium. But you would need a friend in Ontario to catch some and ship them out here.

http://ecometrix.ca/fishdb/fish_list.php

I was looking into this for a few years now but with yellow perch. You cannot take a fish out of a lake and tranport it live. Even minnows are protected under this law. You have to go to a fish farm. The only problem is Alberta only has trout fish farms. The only farms that I found were in the states for pike, walleye, yellow perch in the texes area. 2 inches for $65 + shipping and what other expence, and customs will probally wont allow it into the country.

I looked into this a couple of years ago as I wanted to keep a tank with species from back home. Stuff way smaller than pike and for the most part non existant in Alberta. I am pretty sure the law says it is unlawful to posses any indiginous species of fish alive(game or not). Aside from that all of the fishing regulations also apply.