Legalities Of Catching Wildlife For Tank?

macdre

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no one said release......

im not some 15 year dipshit here people.

everyone always looks at the doom and gloom , what xabout hey guy thats cool you want to study and habitate a local fish...

im wondering how noone realizes i have 6 bullseye snakeheads in a tank right now... not planning on releasing thm, nor would i rlease a damn pike in some body of watr there arent already pike in....

I think it was hassey lake out past spruce grove had to be limed to kill all fish species because someone dumped stikkleback in the lake.. also in stalbert they have some pond next to the big lake they want to lime because they dont want a species to get into big lake sturgeon river...

also in banff there is a hotspring that people put tropical fish in... they put extinct the native fish that were there...

I would be totally pissed if they had to lime my lake because someone thouught it would be cool to raise pike then decide to get rid of them in the closest lake when they get to big

this has been both educational , and very frustrating,

forget pike......

i just cant get over that i can legally posses snakeheads which are known to devastate ecosystems but the thought of yankin some damn pike out of a slough is poo pooo'd because of the whats if's and maybe howcomes like everything els out there it doesnt make sence lol

so in conclusion...... forget the pike

everyone always looks at the doom and gloom , what xabout hey guy thats cool you want to study and habitate a local fish...

im wondering how noone realizes i have 6 bullseye snakeheads in a tank right now... not planning on releasing thm, nor would i rlease a damn pike in some body of watr there arent already pike in....

I think it was hassey lake out past spruce grove had to be limed to kill all fish species because someone dumped stikkleback in the lake.. also in stalbert they have some pond next to the big lake they want to lime because they dont want a species to get into big lake sturgeon river...

also in banff there is a hotspring that people put tropical fish in... they put extinct the native fish that were there...

I would be totally pissed if they had to lime my lake because someone thouught it would be cool to raise pike then decide to get rid of them in the closest lake when they get to big

I second you on this; it seems kinda backwards.

forget pike......

i just cant get over that i can legally posses snakeheads which are known to devastate ecosystems but the thought of yankin some damn pike out of a slough is poo pooo'd because of the whats if's and maybe howcomes like everything els out there it doesnt make sence lol

Maybe not you.. But obviously others have....

forget pike......

Just wondering if these snakeheads you keep talkin about could survive here ? I doubt it ,but I just don't know.

By the way I know that the fishing regs that comes with an Alberta fishing permit mentions something about catching

minnows for bate specie doesn't matter ,but they Must be Dead to be transported or used as bate . <(not exact words)

Someone mentioned stickleback , I believe stickleback would just be another food source for the inhabitants

of that lake they are very small 1.5-2" long max , but -- maybe they eat up all the small bugs so there is nothing

for native minnows (doubt it though) . Stickleback are found in most waters here in the peace area anyway.

But I Could be Wrong. rolleyes.gif

I can see why you are frustrated. I agree the rules on snakeheads and on native species really seem backwards. I'd love to try and find out if snakeheads can actually survive in our lakes(mabe make a study of it by simulating a cold cycle and then a winter cycle.) I doubt they'd actually survuve in most lakes or rivers. As for catching minnows i'm sure i've caught more than a few dozen in my time but with a net and not a hook.

Keeping and releaseing fish back into the lake you caught them in from whati i understand is also frowned upon since the chances are you might inroduce a unknown paracite into the lake. Cross contamination of aquarium water is well known to be a problem with even the cleanest keeper. The average pike grows bigger than any arrowana i have ever heard of and the same with nile perch with the record on the perch set at 800 pounds or so and i have personally seen a Pike head that was at least the length of my 80 gallon but more likely bigger. The last thing to remember is that the easy turning radius is allot bigger on the pike with it's bigger body. I wouldn't even consider keeping this fish in anything less than 2000 gallons. In a pond it's doable but they are much like KOI in that they need the space a pond can provide and the bigger the better. I'd get a pond stock it with perch and minnows and and add a small Pike(if i had the money and legal permission) I'd have it heavily planted with native species and filled with bugs and stuff that you'd find in the wild as well for food.

What are the rules on fish that are in man made lakes? aka the one in Castle downs?

I admit i'd love to keep perch especially ones from my lake since they always have such a brilliant color pattern on them but what would i do with them later?

I guess it's too bad we can't keep our own fish as a ornamental piece and only use them for sport fishing/eating.

Our government tends to be reactive rather than proactive so while snakeheads are proven to be horrid on an ecosystem because nothing has happened yet here in alberta or canada then the government can't be arsed to get off it's arse and do something about it. On the other hand when it comes to regulations regarding our own species it's a problem in that they have spent the last century making regulations but they don't consider the aquarium hobby as a factor in making those decisions. I'm sure there would be allot of people interested in keeping some of the more colourful and interesting species that we have to offer in our lakes.

One last thing that many fail to realize is that you can speak to your MLA they represent YOU in government and make and ammend those policies in governmennt that affect you. It might be possible to get the rules adapted to consider keeping of fish for the hobby. I personally don't think there should be any issue but with those who are irresponceable and release the fish back into the wild after captivity.

From what i have read so far there are some that consider keeping and re releasing fish back into the same lake they came out of to be okay. This is another reason for concern. Personally i think you should be able to have a licence to keep these fish from a small size if you meet certain requirments.

This is just my 2 maybe 4 or 5 cents on the issue. I wish i could help more other than to suggest speaking with your MLA.

Good luck

L

P.S. Federal elections are coming up in may so be sure that the person you are voting for is actually concerned about any problems you may have in your area not just politcal party. And find out what they are doing about it if anything. Ie; The lake i have been going to since i was little has had repeated winter kills with increasing frequency and the problem started when the federal government started to put more and more restrictions on the weed harvesting done in the summer months on 1/4 of the lake shore. Do they know about the issue, do they pass the blame or responcability on to someone else and offer no help?. Just something to think about and also find out if they even live in the area.

There is a large trout and salmon tank for free viewing at the Bass Pro Shops near Airdrie. I recall the guy telling me that they have to do a water turn over rate of 16 turnovers per hour, and they have a massive cooling system in that tank.