Silica Sand & Eggcrate

hi fellow fish lovers. I am new here at AA. its nice to know theres a forum for us denizens of AB. I am from Jasper AB, and the nearest big city is either edmonton or calgary. I have been searching where to buy the silica sand and eggcrate mention on this topic:

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=21162

HD inEdmonton doesnt know what the hell I'm saying.lol. please help.thanks in advanced

thanks for having me.

RT

well egg crate can also be called light diffusers... and they have them at most hardward stores.. but they usually dont know the 'egg crate' term. try light diffuses that the use in office buildings... or.. take some from your office building!

thanks for the light diffusers.I told that to the guy from HD also and he look dumb founded for some reason. I should have brought pictures. Thats what I'll do next time. its just the silica sand this time. I hope I can get those the next time I go to edmonton. thanks

Home Depot in St Albert has both items you need. The egg crate is super cheap I don't remember the exact price. Also HD also has Playsand which I use in ALL my planted aquariums I haven't rinsed it once and my water was crystal clear.

I've gotten mixed responses on this. Some people say it is gunky, and others like yourself say it comes clean. I am buying a bunch of sand soon, and would be easier to get it at Home depot, but if its not clean, the time saved would be worth it to track down pool sand...

regarding the play sand at HD, it's a bag by bag basis. some will be clean, some will need one heck of a lot of rinsing! lol. i've picked up two bags and they were like night and day - bag #1 needed rinsing until i was blue in the face, and bag #2 just needed a couple light rinses before it was ready to go in the tank.

another thing i found very interesting was that bag #1 caused a fair amount of diatoms in the 55 gallon i used it in, and bag #2 so far has caused no diatoms in the 20 gallon (set up since Dec 22). i know it was the sand in the 55 causing the diatoms because i recently went bare bottom in that tank, removing all the sand, and haven't had a diatom issue since!

The Hardware store in Hinton on the main drag used to carry light difusers. As well I am sure you can get silica sand in Hinton. Hinton has everything Edmonton has.

thats what I thought so too.but apparently no one can point me at the right direction. I checked canadian tire and homehardware there.nada. :(

I just bought a 88 pound bag of sil 7 sand blasting sand from sil silicates in east edmonton for $10 sand blasting sand has no dust and all the grains are the same size 88 pounds puts about 2.5- 3" of sand in a standard 90G and dirt cheap too

Murminator, can you tell me please the name of the store?thanks