First Tank Blow Out.

425nm

I woke up at 3:30 this morning to the sound of one of my filters running dry. So I go over to my 25 gallon planted tank to find the carpet soaked and my tank half full. My landlord is showing my place later today as I am moving out at the end of April. So I bust out all the towels I own and manage to get the carpet pretty dry. Oddest thing though, I have the tank set on top of a towel so if there's ever a leak on the bottom I'll see it wick out but the towel and the stand are totally dry. No obvious cracks or defects in the seal above the half way point and no more water has leaked since 3:30am. The vast majority of the water leaked in front of the tank/stand, a bit leaked under the stand. I last checked at midnight and all was well so the water took a maximum of 3 1/2 hours to leak out.

Fish are fine though and I rearranged some furniture to discourage people from walking in front of the tank so hopefully the slightly damp carpet will not be noticed.

Anyone else ever had unfortunately (more unfortunate than normal that is) timed fish tank disasters.

Could your air pump have siphoned the water out? did it quit, do you have a 1 way check valve on it. Did one of your hand on the back filters spring a leak on the bottom draining your tank till they went dry? just some idea's

If it makes you feel better, I have my tank in my office....Came in one morning and my tank was half empty and the floor was soaked and leaked into the bottom office. Apparently the skimmer went nuts and the collection cup over flowed all night. Lucky only had to replace the ceiling tiles, as they soaked up most of the water...

Jeff

It could be a few things, air pump siphon, blown gasket on the filter, a small hole in a canister hose. Hopefully you get it figured out and dried up fast. I like most of us on here have made a few stupid mistakes, and sometimes $hit happens, learn what you can and try it again. Good luck, Jay

It could have been my hang on filter but that's on the back of the tank and all the water was in front of the tank. Other than the hang on all I have is a submersible filter and a yeast CO2 chamber on the tank. The rubber stopper + tube had come off the CO2 chamber but I assumed it was because the box the CO2 chamber was sitting on got wrecked by the water tipping it. But if the stopper came off by itself its possible all the water leaked out down the tubing onto the floor but I don't think the stopper of near the main area of wetness. Only one way to be sure I guess. Fill the tank back up and be ready ready to siphon the water out again once I figure out if there's a leak. Good thing I did all most water changes yesterday, at least the water is mostly clean that way.

I lost about 5 or so gallons out of my 30gl once. I had rearanged my tank setup and placed my heater in a different location. I didn't notice that the cord from the heater was left overlaped on the output of my Penguin HOB. The water managed to travel up the heater cord and down to the floor. Soaked about a 4ft diameter around the tank.

I lost about 5 or so gallons out of my 30gl once. I had rearanged my tank setup and placed my heater in a different location. I didn't notice that the cord from the heater was left overlaped on the output of my Penguin HOB. The water managed to travel up the heater cord and down to the floor. Soaked about a 4ft diameter around the tank.

I once had a hanging style metal thermometer on my ten gallon drain 20% of it out before I figured out what the hell was making my water leak onto the ground. I checked everything but the damn thermometer until I moved it over and saw water was running up between the metal and the tank, up and down the back via capillary action. >.>

This makes me worry about my current tank, silicone isn't in the best of shapes. I tempted to buy a new 75g and transfer everything over

I have a 230 gal and a few weeks ago the diaphram in my eheime pro 3 went and over night the tank dumped 80-90 gallons, that was a bad clean up.Wife just about killed me ....lol

I have a 230 gal and a few weeks ago the diaphram in my eheime pro 3 went and over night the tank dumped 80-90 gallons, that was a bad clean up.Wife just about killed me ....lol

How did you clean it up?? Carpet/floor?

We used all the towels in the house and a shop vacum for about 3 hours, and then fans for 2 days. Also it was in the basement on carpeted floor.

Edited by CORVETTE

Now that is bad! lol

Wowsers, I think I'll drill a hole in my all intakes to break the siphon in case this ever happens.