Built In Filter Vs Cannister Filter

FISHLIPS

so i have 2 chinese brand tanks aquagiant(100 gal) and a sun sun(75gal) ,both have built in filters in lid.

so my question is.....how much better filtering could i expect with a cannister (eheim or fluval)?

right now my tanks are crystal clear,fish are super healthy and water reads perfect.I also find it very handy that i can change filter media on each tank to what ever i want in a few minutes without a mess.

thanks for your input!

A canister filter has way more volume than those over-the-tank filters, so it will have a higher filtering capacity. That being said, any filter can be modified to increase its filtering capacity/quality. :)

A canister filter has way more volume than those over-the-tank filters, so it will have a higher filtering capacity. That being said, any filter can be modified to increase its filtering capacity/qualit

thanks again.....thinking of selling these two tanks and setting up a 300 gal........would a couple big cannisters be better than a sump as far smell ? I heard that a sump smells, alot of extra maintenance, but is very good for beneficial bacteria etc etc?

so i have 2 chinese brand tanks aquagiant(100 gal) and a sun sun(75gal) ,both have built in filters in lid.

so my question is.....how much better filtering could i expect with a cannister (eheim or fluval)?

right now my tanks are crystal clear,fish are super healthy and water reads perfect.I also find it very handy that i can change filter media on each tank to what ever i want in a few minutes without a mess.

thanks for your input!

spend the money and go eheim i just got a new one and got rid of the load air sucking piece of crud known as a 305 my fish make more noise then a eheim

A canister filter has way more volume than those over-the-tank filters, so it will have a higher filtering capacity. That being said, any filter can be modified to increase its filtering capacity/qualit

thanks again.....thinking of selling these two tanks and setting up a 300 gal........would a couple big cannisters be better than a sump as far smell ? I heard that a sump smells, alot of extra maintenance, but is very good for beneficial bacteria etc etc?

If I were to go with canisters on a 300, I'd do at least 2 FX5s, then MODIFY them to increase filtering capacity. IMO, a sump would be the way to go. I've never noticed a smell in the sumps I've run, but if that's a problem, place a dish of baking soda in the cabinet and change it out when you do WCs.

If I were to go with canisters on a 300, I'd do at least 2 FX5s, then MODIFY them to increase filtering capacity. IMO, a sump would be the way to go. I've never noticed a smell in the sumps I've run, but if that's a problem, place a dish of baking soda in the cabinet and change it out when you do WCs.

i was even lookin at a pond filter as an option?????

HEY MAYBE I'M ONTO SOMETHING!!!

just read about a POND MASTER 4000, its good for up to 4000 gallon ponds and has a flush system to clear debri along with a uv sterilizer built in............maybe this is the way to go for 2-3-400 gallon tanks.They also offer smaller units but its never a bad thing to have overkill filteration.As far as noise ...i haven't a clue.It varys in price depending on which site your on 500-700 dollars.

what do you think?

Edited by FISHLIPS

.As far as noise ...i haven't a clue.

what do you think?

As for noise I predict 0 dBA

It will just sit there looking all quiet and pretty :heart: until you purchase an equaly exspensive pressure pump :flex: to drive it.

thanks for your input!

spend the money and go eheim i just got a new one and got rid of the load air sucking piece of crud known as a 305 my fish make more noise then a eheim

Sorry for stealing your post, but the money you save on those cheap filters, put that money towards a good shop vac, you'll need it. Do your homework and make sure the filters you buy, you can get parts for. I didn't and now I have two of those "chinese brands"filters that make great indoor waterfalls. I guess, Christmas Sale actually means buy at your own risk, because it's discontinued = no parts.

I did buy my 300 from the same place you are dealing with and have had no problems with the tank. But as far as setting up a 300, go with a sump, mine has no smell to it, they are cheap to make, less maintenance. There are a lot of great posts here about how to make a sump, as always ask questions do you homework = less work later on. One thing that I regret not doing is a drip system.

Edited by letsgofishn

Ive only seen a couple of sump'd setups up close and did not notice any smell or anything different than my canister setups. The versaltility and ease of use of the sump is way better than the canisters. I dont enjoy carrying my FX5 to the tub and cant wait till i have my sump finished after i move.

Sump>canister>HOB>built in>foam air filter>undergravel <----- IMO