Planted Substrate ?

Murminator

Ok once again I'm trying a planted tank the tank has been running for about 5 years. 3 weeks ago tore it down saved most of the water left a dirty filter took out the rocks and gravel substrate. I added all new substrate about 1.5-2" of flourite and about 1-1.5 inches of silica sand, and I am aware the flouite will eventually push it's way up and mix. I have read a few articles where people did the exact same substrate and thats the only way they do it.....I talked to the plant guy at a LFS and he tells me it doesn't work better to have gravel on top for various reasons. I trolled around the interweeb and read why it is bad...crushed roots build up of gases...etc

Just curious is anyone else is running this substrate? What are the experiences? Good? Bad?

All my planted tanks have mix of florite, sand and gravel and after the initial dusty period, my plants love it. It is interesting that after a couple of years it's settled out and all the gravel is at the top and it's florite and sand underneath. And to think my first tanks were plastic plants and clown gravel :blush:

in one tank i use a mix of flourite/gravel leftover from one of my other tanks and my plants love it.. even though i done have the depth of substrate they like. my other tank has straight flourite sand and boy do my plants love that! now to find some micro sword!!! :P

IME tabs (flouish/homemade ((i got a good recipe!)) are a great way to supplement nutrients for plants. i use them so i dont have to dose ferts as much. it works great for me! :heart:

Amy

LOL SORRY!!! i posted on Kyles account! damn i do this all the time!!!!

Edited by Neesmo

The best way to combat possible gas pockets is an army of MTS - they keep the substrate turned enough to keep it aerated. However, they will speed up the mixing of the Flourite and sand.

• 3 weeks later...

Well couple weeks ago pulled out the sand and added another bag of flourite. The bag says no need to rinse....BS... the tank looked like a mud puddle couldn't see an inch into the tank no way could put fish in there so I had an old 33G collecting dust set it up real quick with the used water and filter from the original teardown. After 2 days of no circulation or filter you could turn on the lights and almost make out the outline of the driftwood this is ridiculous at this rate it will take a month.....Siphoned all the water out down to the substate rinsed everything down a sucked out pure mud. I had a 5G bucket of natural fine gravel added about 1/2 inch of gravel to the top of the substrate to cap it off. This is the trick that worked filled the tank up and it was cystal clear..yay... drained a couple buckets of water so I didn't drown (31" tall tank and short arms) added a handful up plants waited a few days added the fish now couple weeks later everything is doing good plants are growing well but I did lose a couple black cories in the shuffle but the rest of the cories are fine.