California Blackworms

I am probably going to order in California Blackworms in for our monthly meetings. If you are an ACE member you might have already gotten an email from me, but I am opening it to non-members as well. It is just the ACE members will get it for a reduced price. If you are interested please PM me and I will let you know the cost.

They will be shipped in the day of our ACE meeting and can be picked up at the meeting. This order will go ahead if I get 10lbs or more ordered. The proceeds do go back towards the club.

Here is some info from their website

California Black Worms ®

( Lumbriculus Variegatus, not Tubifex )

There are many important reasons to choose Live Blackworms for your fish instead of frozen and machine prepared "fast" foods. Obviously, live foods are the truly perfect nutritional source for your tropical fish, but are you aware of some of these other reasons?...

Blackworms are small enough ( no larger then one inch long or the size of a pin) for all tropical fish to devour them. Great for smaller mouthed fish like apistos, rams, angels, discus and livebearers

The uneaten worms will not die and decay in your aquarium gravel bed and filtration system.

California Blackworms ( BLACKWORMS ARE NOT TUBIFEX ) are raised in controlled conditions and are free of parasites and pathogenic (disease causing) bacteria.

uses a high protein manufactured feed along with an advanced reproduction environment which allows our live food to compete with the basic flakes and frozen foods that are available.

Your fish will love devouring these live Blackworms. Thus, following nature's instincts, they will glow with emotional health.

Summary,

These rich, succulent Blackworms are teeming with nutrition. Your tropical fish will quickly show the vibrant glow of health that nature intended for them when you include live foods in their diet.

California Blackworms provide the most excellent source of protein, and are extremely useful as a conditioning food for breeding preparation.

HOW TO KEEP AND FEED BLACK WORMS

Black worms are easy to keep alive and store.... they live in shallow water and can be kept in a covered (allow air) wide and shallow plastic food keeper (6"x10" I find works well) in the fridge. Add 3/4 to 1 inch of water, doing a water change a few times a week. To feed, simply scoop out the amount you need with a small spoon and add to your tank.... they will sink to the bottom (if they make it that far) and will move and wiggle until eaten. Bottom feeders will gorge on them if given the opportunity. They will live until eaten so no waste, no rotting food, and all fresh and healthy.

Blackworm Care

You have selected one of the best tropical fish foods available. You will find that your fish will be healthier and maintain their true colors. Our California Blackworms are the perfect food for conditioning new tropical fish and breeding tropicals.

Upon the arrival of your Blackworms thoroughly rinse them with AGED PRE CHILLED WATER (40-50 degrees) until their run off water is clear and clean. When placing them in your live Blackworm keeper or other container make sure that your worms are no thicker then 1/2 inch. If they are thicker they may suffocate or try to escape from their container. Keep no more then 1/2 inch of water above them, and do not cover their container they need to be able to breath.

Keep your Blackworms in the refrigerator. They need to be kept between 40-55 degrees. Do not keep them in an aquarium, outside boxes, basements etc. Only in the refrigerator.

To keep your worms fresh they should be rinsed at least once a day. Use only AGED PRE CHILLED WATER when rinsing. Do not use aquarium water, or room temperature water. Only cold 40-50 degree water.

You do not have to feed your worms, they will live off their own body weight. However the longer they are kept they will lose weight. Weekly orders are suggested to insure freshness. Uneaten worms will not foul your aquarium, but do feed according to your fish and aquarium size.

Raymond

Thanks for the info, Ray. IME aged chilled water is not necessary. I have used cold Edmonton tap water when I have had them with great success. The daily rinse is a must,and if followed they should last at least a month in the refridgerator. That is if the warden allows them.

Yes, you might be for a big surprise if you look in my "honey" container. These are awesome foods for conditioning bettas so pick up some and help out your club too :thumbs:

The daily rinse is a must,and if followed they should last at least a month in the refridgerator. That is if the warden allows them.

label them as pickled herring or pickled eggs. Something that 'The department of War and Finance' normally wouldn't even peak in the container of. What she doesn't know, won't hurt me.

For you ladies, just label it as some kind of blush chartreuse facial make up cream or something like that. No man will look in that container. True story.

• 2 weeks later...

2 more weeks until the blackworms arrive. Pickup will be at the ACE meeting on May 3rd.

St Benedict Catholic Elementary School

18015 93 Avenue (2 blocks west of WEM)

Edmonton, Alberta

Please enter through the west doors, remove wet and dirty footwear in the foyer, then enter directly into the library. The parking lot is a bit small, but there is plenty of street parking in the area. Regular club meetings will now be held in this location.

Meeting starts at 7:30 but I will be a tad bit earlier so can pick up before meeting starts, during the raffle break or after the meeting.

Raymond

This order will close on Saturday April 30th when I get home from work which will be about 1:00 AM Sunday. A quick update, currently we have 15lbs ordered, if we get another 5lbs the prices drops $5.00/lb. Again if there is enough interest I can make this a monthly or bi-monthly thing, from September - June when the Aquarium Club Meetings occur.

Edited by rayfong

The order will be closed on Sunday. We will have 20 lbs ordered, unless more people want to order.

Again here is the time and place to pickup.

Tuesday May 3rd, 2011

St Benedict Catholic Elementary School

18015 93 Avenue (2 blocks west of WEM)

Edmonton, Alberta

Please enter through the west doors, remove wet and dirty footwear in the foyer, then enter directly into the library. The parking lot is a bit small, but there is plenty of street parking in the area. Regular club meetings will now be held in this location.

Meeting starts at 7:30 but I will be a tad bit earlier so can pick up before meeting starts, during the raffle break or after the meeting.

Thanks for the heads up. We'll be beefing up our security at the meeting, so you betta be on your best behaviour! :banned:

Perhaps I could sneak in behind the "Mr. Fishclubgirl" and nobody would notice me.. :tongue: