Introduction To Rainbowfish

Jayba

forgot to upload the file lol

Those appear to be eggs from a species of rainbowfish that lays very large eggs. Also they are probably not freshly laid, more likely 4-7 days after the spawn as they grow daily after spawn. I never trust my eyesite with a mop that is still in the tank. As Adrian Tappin suggests in his book, take the mop out and gently squeeze out excess water or allow to drip dry. The eggs will then stand out like little glass beads against the dark colored strands of the spawning mop. In the very first post that Jayba made, at the end of his post he gave everyone a valuable link to a free downloadable book. Here is that link again..

http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Book.htm

The book, just under 500 pages is written by a fellow who is very respected amonst experienced breeders of Rainbowfish. Download the screen version which is a PDF and I believe starting Page 88 of the PDF file or Page 80 of the book is all the information you will need with illustrations and pictures to help you to identify rainbowfish eggs, how to handle them, what to do with them, etc. The book is very easy to read and understand. If you have a rainbowfish, this book is a must have! :thumbs: The screen version is 55 MB while the print version is 170 MB so either will take some time to download. I printed out about half of it, running out of a number of ink cartridges, it came to the size of a small phone book. The best book you will ever need and it is FREE!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He he. They literally look like that but in water. Once you see them you will know what they are. Once you get looking it's like seeing anything small, at first you only see a few and then you know what your looking for and they are everywhere. Ric likes to hang the mop in a 5 gallon bucket of water and then transfer the fry as they hatch out. I like to pick the eggs out of the mop and put them into my jars from the get go. The viable eggs are clear (and may have "eyed up") and are very firm. Almost like little ball bearings. The bad ones will squish from the slightest touch. However, I am very new to this and although I don't seem do have killed any eggs by picking them, Ric is certainly the pro and I would recommend his method if you don't have lots and lots of eggs. It also keeps hatched eggs from dirtying up the jar.

I am curious to find out who all got egg kits in Edmonton. There are a few species I'd like to get my hands on.

**whoops. Ric beat me to a response^^^

Edited by jcgd

Great info Ric! I was debating over Lake Atynjo versus Lacorte but decided on the former, because the Lacorte may be a linebred Boesmani (I am not sure about that though) Gorgeous for sure as well!

Your Melanotaenia splendida splendida "Deepwater Creek" are reserved rolleyes.gif I am trilled to have picked up the M. Nigrans; while only 1.5 " now they are showing some color on the fins and are very active and curious.

J

I got the LaCorte's here in Calgary. I believe they are just a true 'common' strain of the boesemanis but Ric said I was likely one of a few or the only person in Canada with the true strain. I gave him 8 and I have 8 (after some mishaps and deaths).

I would like a group of "Deepwater Creek" if at all possible. I specifically wanted them but only Edmonton got kits.

There will be quite a variety of rainbows including: P. Gertrudia Aru 2, M.Nigrans, M. boesmani Lake Atynjo, M. herbertaxelrodii, M.splendida deep water creek, M. Aru 4 ,M.preacox and others, in the Edmonton area in the next year or so. I and several others are working with these as we speak. 04.gif

Getting fish from Ric in Calgary right now is always possible as there are free rides available. thumbup.gif

John

Add to that list: Chilatherina alleni"Siriwo", Glossolepis maculosus. And I'm presently hatching out Melanotaenia macullochi( the real ones). Very much look forward to working with these species.

I also picked up the alleni and the G.macs. Beautiful fish. They are getting big and really starting to colour up. Put me on the list for the macullochi if possible.

I currently have hatched out M. Boesemani 'LaCorte' and some sexlineatas. I'll have to get the strain from Ric.

There will be quite a variety of rainbows including: P. Gertrudia Aru 2, M.Nigrans, M. boesmani Lake Atynjo, M. herbertaxelrodii, M.splendida deep water creek, M. Aru 4 ,M.preacox and others, in the Edmonton area in the next year or so. I and several others are working with these as we speak. 04.gif

Getting fish from Ric in Calgary right now is always possible as there are free rides available. thumbup.gif

John

Add to that list: Chilatherina alleni"Siriwo", Glossolepis maculosus. And I'm presently hatching out Melanotaenia macullochi( the real ones). Very much look forward to working with these species.

It is good to see everyone post the species of Rainbowfish that they have in there collection. Again we are so fortunate that Gary Lange has brought all these excellent "purebred" fish to Western Canada. He has however potentially added some confusion to us as well by introducing strains of the same species that look quite different from each other. It is important that we include the name of the strain of the species. One example is the Glossolepis maculosus. We have two strains in Alberta now. The strain that syno321 and jcgd got from Gary is the G. maculosus "ANGFA strain". We don't want to crossbred these two strains and end up with a G. mac "Alberta strain" :rofl:

Oh yes, I have had a number of people ask me lately what does ANGFA stand for? "Australia New Guinea Fishes Association" and for more information about ANGFA go to:

http://www.angfaqld.org.au/

post-1337-0-16499400-1303336552_thumb.jpg

Glossolepis maculosus " European Strain"

After finding out from Gary that there was two groups of the ANGFA strain coming up I was able to convince him to bring me a group of the European Strain. As you can see they look quite different than the ANGFA strain. The ones I got are about half the size of the ones that the two of you acquired. Maybe by Christmas with a lot of luck I might have some juveniles available.

The G. maculosus, either ANGFA or European is a great little rainbowfish. It is the smallest species of the Glossolepis Genus with a maximum size of about 3 inches but is usually around 2 inches in size. You could house and bred a nice group of these in a 20 gallon tank!

Buy any chance the strain of Melanotaenia maccullochi that you have wouldn't be the "Skull Creek" as I have the nicest female of one that needs a male?

M. maccullochi, what ever strain is another nice little rainbow that you could raise and breed nicely in a 20 gallon tank.

post-1337-0-04585000-1303336724_thumb.jpg post-1337-0-37830700-1303336777_thumb.jpg

M. maccullochi "Skull Creek"

Pulled a mop out today and there were some on the mop, clear as can be. Now that I've seen them they are really hard to miss.

He he. They literally look like that but in water. Once you see them you will know what they are. Once you get looking it's like seeing anything small, at first you only see a few and then you know what your looking for and they are everywhere. Ric likes to hang the mop in a 5 gallon bucket of water and then transfer the fry as they hatch out. I like to pick the eggs out of the mop and put them into my jars from the get go. The viable eggs are clear (and may have "eyed up") and are very firm. Almost like little ball bearings. The bad ones will squish from the slightest touch. However, I am very new to this and although I don't seem do have killed any eggs by picking them, Ric is certainly the pro and I would recommend his method if you don't have lots and lots of eggs. It also keeps hatched eggs from dirtying up the jar.

I am curious to find out who all got egg kits in Edmonton. There are a few species I'd like to get my hands on.

**whoops. Ric beat me to a response^^^

Edited by popcornshrimp

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but they do come from different types of water bodies. Some come from slow moving waters and some from faster water.

I have power heads in 2 of my tanks and they seem to enjpy playing in the current. Their names may give you some insight into what they live in in the wild, Melanotaenia trifasciata "Goyder River" "Wonga Creek" makes me think there is flow in their natural habitat. My Chilatherina fasciata "Faowi Village" are in a 125 gallon with an FX5, another big filter and a powerhead, they seem to enjoy it. They also do have protected areas of large driftwood where they can take breaks , although they don't use them.

Why do you ask if they like still water or high water flow? Where there a peticular fish you are eyeballing?

thanks for the reply. I am interested mostly in the melanotaenia species. especially the axelrodi. I am preparing a tank and I need to know what they need before I jump in. :)

Water flowing conditions is not important to rainbowfish as I move mine back and forth from my show tanks to breeding tanks. Breeding tanks are sponge filter only. High flow is not wanted, as less eggs will be fertilized. They spawn in both flowing conditions, so they must be happy. :rolleyes:

There is a Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi and there is a Chilatherina axelrodi. I am assuming you would like the M. herbertaxelrodi. Be aware that pure herbys are very hard to find in the LFS. There are many yellow rainbows available in the LFS. If you see a white one in a LFS it might be a herby! Herbys take a long time to develope the bright yellow colors they have. Probably why you don't see them in the LFS much. If you are fortunate to get a real one, and you are patient enough, you will have a very beautiful rainbowfish.

If you talk nice to geleen, I know that he acquired a dozen juveniles of a very nice strain of M. herberaxlerodi a couple of months back. He might be able to sex them now and maybe he might be able to provide you with a pair.

thanks for the reply. I am interested mostly in the melanotaenia species. especially the axelrodi. I am preparing a tank and I need to know what they need before I jump in. :)

Water flowing conditions is not important to rainbowfish as I move mine back and forth from my show tanks to breeding tanks. Breeding tanks are sponge filter only. High flow is not wanted, as less eggs will be fertilized. They spawn in both flowing conditions, so they must be happy. :rolleyes:

There is a Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi and there is a Chilatherina axelrodi. I am assuming you would like the M. herbertaxelrodi. Be aware that pure herbys are very hard to find in the LFS. There are many yellow rainbows available in the LFS. If you see a white one in a LFS it might be a herby! Herbys take a long time to develope the bright yellow colors they have. Probably why you don't see them in the LFS much. If you are fortunate to get a real one, and you are patient enough, you will have a very beautiful rainbowfish.

If you talk nice to geleen, I know that he acquired a dozen juveniles of a very nice strain of M. herberaxlerodi a couple of months back. He might be able to sex them now and maybe he might be able to provide you with a pair.

yup.thats the one.all this scientific names confuses me.lol. thanks again

• 5 months later...

Four new species of Rainbowfish in Calgary, new to Canada this year!

This boy still a young fish at 1.5 years of age. Will get to 5 inches in length....at least 50 gallon tank required.

Glos_multisquamata.jpg

A number of Rainbowfish collectors in Alberta have this species. Might reach 5 inches - at least 50 gallon tank required.

Mel_species_AruII.jpg

This boy is the only one here that is an F1, couple of pairs of these went for $500 last week on Aquabid! This fish can get up to 6 inches.

Mel_vanheurni.jpg

This fish is a little shy, needs a girl or two, and some competition to really bring out his colors!

Geleen I believe is breeding out a bunch of these this fall in Edmonton. Maybe 4.5 inches...at least 50 gallon tank required.

Mel_species_AruIV.jpg

This is just a small sample of some of the Rainbowfish in Alberta!

Best regards

Ric

M_boes_Aytinjo_t.jpg

The Lake Aytinjo strain of M. boesemani colors are by far more intense!