Snail Eggs

Sprucegruve

You can just leave them and they may hatch. You can put them in a container and keep them warm and they should hatch. I know a few people around here who've raised apple snails - I've never really had much luck with them, myself.

with mystery/apple snails, you just leave the egg clutches alone and in about 2 weeks the babies will break out of the little clusters and fall into the water. if you have any medium size fish you might see them eating the babies, but that's ok! because each egg clutch can potentially yield 200 baby snails.

i raised 7 generations of apple snails and never once bothered to mist clutches, nor move them, or do anything special. i had TONS of apple snails at one point, lol.

on a side note - i don't think there is an 'albino red shelled' mystery snail. could you post a photo of your snail, i may be able to help identify the proper colour name for it. you can also check in at www.applesnail.net for some great information.

My apple snails lay an obscene amount of clutches every week...so I take them, put them in a container and just float them in the tank...when I think they're ready I dip them in the tank and the snails eat their way out and then just dump them in the tank. I have wayyyyy too many atm...now I understand why people chuck them in the garbage.

from my knowledge, the two apple snails that are most commonly available in the aquarium trade that lay eggs above the water line are pomecea diffusa (also referred to as pomecea bridgesii, although incorrectly) and pomecea canaliculata. both look very much alike, but the cana snail will grow larger and is a voracious plant eater, whereas the diffusa does not eat plants and stays smaller. cana's also are commonly brown with faint stripes and diffusa come in a range of colours, including pale cream/ivory with red eyes. another great indicator is the colour of the eggs, cana eggs will be a bright pink or orange, whereas diffusa eggs will be more peachy pale pink when laid.

there are also nerite snails that are part of the apple snail family, but i have never seen an 'albino' one. nerites lay their eggs individually and not in clusters/clutches, underwater.

the photo will be a great help in determining which snail you have.

edit - does your snail look like this, but with a different coloured shell and white body (the soft part)?

post-3194-0-65865600-1303147939_thumb.jpg

Edited by BettaFishMommy

from my knowledge, the two apple snails that are most commonly available in the aquarium trade that lay eggs above the water line are pomecea diffusa (also referred to as pomecea bridgesii, although incorrectly) and pomecea canaliculata. both look very much alike, but the cana snail will grow larger and is a voracious plant eater, whereas the diffusa does not eat plants and stays smaller. cana's also are commonly brown with faint stripes and diffusa come in a range of colours, including pale cream/ivory with red eyes. another great indicator is the colour of the eggs, cana eggs will be a bright pink or orange, whereas diffusa eggs will be more peachy pale pink when laid.

there are also nerite snails that are part of the apple snail family, but i have never seen an 'albino' one. nerites lay their eggs individually and not in clusters/clutches, underwater.

the photo will be a great help in determining which snail you have.

edit - does your snail look like this, but with a different coloured shell and white body (the soft part)?

post-3194-0-65865600-1303147939_thumb.jpg

diffusa will eat plants, if they are not provided with a steady leafy diet. I speak of this from personal experience.

the snail you have there is considered either a 'light striped purple' or a 'striped purple'. because computer monitors vary and may not show the absolute true colour of something, i can't pinpoint the exact purple shade, but it is one of those two. and it is definitely a pomecea diffusa, aka mystery snail.

you'll want to feed a high calcium diet for your snails, to promote healthy shell growth. if you search our forum for 'snail jello' you'll find a place or two where i've explained how to make it.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

Ok I'm looking up snail jello, I have these snails in with shrimp and MTS so I feed algae wafers,hikiari carnivore pellets,zucchini,cucumber,spinach, sometimes small amount of flake food,or sinking cichlid pellets, also green seaweed.

My little 15 gallon tank has a good amount of plants and none have been touched by snails yet.fingers crossed

The shell is really red, but I guess in some spots it looks purple

Also not the best camera and I suck at taking photos.