Starting A Planted Tank

Chopperman

Im looking at changing my 50 gallon 48x12x20 (not drilled) into a planted tank in the near future it has a rena xp3 and an A/C 50 for filtration. I will have a 2 bulb t5ho fixture, but my question is about substrate. Substrate is IMHO the one thing you need to get right right off the hop because of the difficulty to change down the road. What is the recommended substrate to use? Ive been thinking of Seachem black flourite maybe 2-3 inches. Should laterite be mixed in or placed in layers? or do i need laterite at all? Just so you know in previous attempts Ive killed umpteen anubias and many vals the only thing my tanks have ever grown is algae, So i'm thinking there may be hope for me yet. Thank You for any help or suggestions.

Adam

I use flourite. I really like it but its too expensive locally. I bring back a bunch from j&l every may when I go to BC cause its 16-20 bucks a bag. A nice alternative is shultz aquatic plant soil for ponds. 10 bucks a back, but its a really light tan color so I cap it with flourite red.

Flourite is inert but porous so it gets better with age. Laterite is a good idea but not needed. I like to add a sprinkle of peat to the bottom on the glass, a little gravel, some laterite and then the rest of the gravel. Clay works well too but I don't know where to get it except 3 feet down in my front yard.

I'd ditch the hob too. Get another canister if you need more flow. Hob's gas of co2 quite a bit.

Thanks for the info I will ditch the A/C I've got a fluval 303 in my big box of leftovers in my basement. I think I'll pick up a few bags of flourite.

If you are north it's a couple bucks cheaper at aquarium central...and they have such a nice storewub.gif

What do you have for substrate now? If it's not too coarse, it could be perfect for plants b/c it already has a bunch of fish poo in it - yummy for the plants! I stopped using special (read expensive) substrates years ago - I get great results with plain sand and fertilizing the water column.

I think you're off to a good start,changing out your substrate first. My suggestion would be to mix one third black flourite with black sand and gravel if you want a dark substrate. I'm a big fan of the KISS principle and would suggest doing that first and get your tank going. Later you can change filters, fertilise the water column, add CO2 etc. Growing plants is a learning process so start at the beginning and take baby steps... (PS I still use HOB filters too). My first change was my substrate, then lights, CO2(still amazed I haven't blown anything up), ferts, root tabs and then even more light. And I still can't grow houseplants!!

The big deal about Fluorite, laterite, soils, clays, etc. is their ability hold on to and provide nutrients for plant roots (Cation Exchange Capacity.) A more traditional aquarium substrate of plain washed gravel has a low CEC. However, the subsequent buildup of sludge in an established tank essentially becomes a "soil" substrate and provides nutrients for the plants. So, as jvision says, you may already have a suitable plant substrate in your tank. Obviously, if you have huge fluorescent pink gravel, you might want to change it out...

I have not really noticed any difference in plant growth between gravel (sandblasting grit) and Fluorite in my tanks. Fluorite looks great, but if you're short on cash, I'd say go with plain gravel and spend the $$$ on lighting or CO2. :)

Substrates for Aquarium Plants

I probably have 3 full bags of the geo system substrate in my arsenal of past impulse buys. It looks to be around 4-5 mm. The tank is well established and has been currently running for 5 years. It only has around an inch of gravel in it due to the fact I had a couple fronts and a few dolphins in it that quickly outgrew the tank and keeping the nitrates down became a problem, weekly 25% water changes and consistent vacuuming just to keep parameters/algae growth stable. To think all that detritus that had been vacuumed would have been good for a planted tank, current habitants are in need of finding a new home. The switchover is not going to be rushed and wont be done until I have gained basic knowledge and have the right equipment to start. I see everyones pictures of there plants and I'm green with envy. I appreciate everyones input on this subject and willingness to help.