Looking For Turtle Forum

Neesmo

hey guys I'm looking for a good (hopefully canadian) reptile forum for people with pig nosed / fly river turtle. I'm not looking to debate the legalities of owning one as a pet in alberta because I have already done that research. Have already been on the major "google searched" sites and got quite a bit of quality info but I'm looking to talk to some canadian owners if possible.

Thanks for any help!

Kyle

So have you already checked out the Alberta reptile & amphibian society, Edmonton reptile society and canadian Reptiles pages/forums? That would be the best places to start. Post your question on there and they should be able to tell you what the laws are for our province.

Im not 100% sure what im looking for yet and especially what to look for besides the obvious things, health wise. I still have over a month to research before I bring one home. I have a 5' 110 gallon ready for this and a couple xp3s etc. any experienced keepers with advise is appreciated

The most important thing with fly rivers is that the water is really clean..... and that there isnt anything sharp for them to bump into.

They are notorious for skin infections that lead to bacteria and internal problems.

They love kiwi and lettuce on a clip and there is a huge variety of foods they can have but try to keep water quality in mind as fruits will make it go sour pretty quick.

I saw a couple of videos you had posted on the other forum from 2007. I have been researching and basically this will be my setup as of now:

5' 110 gallon with a 6' 180 gallon for her once she needs more space

2x Rena XP3s

hydor eth 300 watt external heater set @ temp of 82-83

PH of 7.8+ which i can reach with the substrate

fine crushed coral substrate deep enough to completely burry itself

1 tsp of salt per 5 gallons

UVB 10.0 florecent light

Decorations with soft edges and rest areas on either side of the tank that is semi close to the surface

foods with vitamin d3 suppliment/soaked in suppliment

Romaine lettuce, Anacharis, Water lettuce, hyacinth, vallisneria and other plants

Kiwi, papaya, banana and other fruits

sinking waffers in different varieties including some 29% or other high protein pellets mixed into diet

Basically a varied diet and hopefully I will find some plants that he/she likes to nibble on.

I have all of this equipment ready to setup and will be doing so after i move into my new place june 1st. Will be focusing more so than with our other tanks on water quality and paramaters

Advise is appreciated! Thanks

Edited by Neesmo

Seems like your more ahead then most of the fly keepers LOL.

if you have any questions just PM me :)

Too expensive to mess this one up :P

Thanks and Im sure ill have questions. Wont be purchasing until mid june so i have time to get everything right