Yellow Lab With Eggs,not A Clue What I Should Do

Candy

I have a mamma with eggs and I am not sure what I should do. I have set up another tank for her but how do I move her without stressing her out? Will it harm the babies?? I am such a newbie any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

I have a mamma with eggs and I am not sure what I should do. I have set up another tank for her but how do I move her without stressing her out? Will it harm the babies?? I am such a newbie any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

some times i've heard you can syphon the eggs out and put into another container (with same water) with a sponge filter.....depends on species i suppose.Many times, depending on species,the parents will guard them well.Also have read you are suppose to leave a night light near the tank so the parents can ward off any intruders 24hrs.Remove any plecos or very fast fish that will come in for the kill if you decide to let the parents raise them.

If you want to keep the babies there are a couple ways to do it but the easiest is just removing the female to another tank. She should be ok with the stress of being netted. In 3-4 weeks she should spit out the babies and then when you notice she isn't taking them into her mouth anymore remove her back to the regular tank. She will start to eat them if you don't remove her.

Or you can keep her in the main tank for a few weeks and then "strip" the babies from her. This involves netting her, opening her mouth(or dunking her head in and out of the water) and the babies come out. You can also do this process for just the eggs but then you have to be really careful about caring for the eggs in an egg tumbler.

"Stripping" can be a bit scary the first few times you do it :P . If this is your first time with babies I'd suggest just netting the mom out and putting her in a Q tank until she spits them out.

When she spits them out the babies are big enough to eat regular foods. NLS grow or crushed up flakes work great, no need for any special fry foods.

Dito on the above reply. I used to have gravel, that is driveway gravel or some sort of largish gravel in the tank.. the babies after getting away from the mother would hide in there... just have to be carefull not to move it around ;) also you could just place something else in there that would do for hiding places for the babies once the mom releases them. If you strip the female wait a week or 2 before doing it, then the babies should be large enough to be on their own and also make sure you cover up the filter's intake with a piece of foam or something to they don;t get sucked up :)

Jason

Thank you everyone for your help.

After what seemed forever trying to catch her I have her moved to her new tank. (I hope I got the right one anyway)

Would a coffee filter work to cover the intake??

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my female Yellow Labs has been carrying for almost a week now. I'm a little nervous to move her around as she might get picked on when I bring her back in the tank but am getting quite excited to see the little fry :)

• 5 months later...