Fluval Edge Grrrrrr

Ishkabod

The rasboras were fine but the Zebra plecco wasn't Even the little shrimplets made it but my plecco didn't. You have to remeber the lack of surface area, the high O2 the L046 needs and the fact that at night the dense plants release C02 and use up O2. I'm glad that the CO2 I use is only a manual refilling container in the tank. The fact is that the filter clogged with no prior warning. I just finished cleaning the filter media and the intake tube 2 days before. I don't have any idea as to why the filter is clogging. I'm at my whits end with it. I'm going to see if i can get another filter for the tank but for now it's going to have to wait until i have more money available. I'd do an airstone or air filter but it's counter productive to having the CO2. I have some ideas now and all involve a little more than i can afford right now so thanks everyone for the tips about the filter. I'll do what i can. i've lowerd the levil of water in the tank so that if it happens again before i get another solution then i'll have a better buffer time.

Thanks again

L

Other topic. When the fish are gasping at the surface that means low O2. I regularly test my parameters since it is a Small high tech planted tank and i dose ferts so i need to keep track of the Nitrate and other things. Nitrate was getting low but still okay 2 days ago and i was due to make another test and possible dose tomorrow to top it back up for the plants. The edge is much different than most other tanks and if you have one you might understand how different not having that extra surface area makes these tanks when it comes to oxygen levils. In regards to the fish bags if you recall most fish are put in a TALL bag with a little water and lots of air. there is a good reason for this. Now fill that bag more than 3/4 with water and see how long the fish will last if they are sitting with the bag tipped on it's side and you will have an idea as to what the edge is like. It's no question in my mind that it was the filter quitting that did it. Not even a glimmer of a thought to it being something else contributing to it. the day before the filter crash was a crazy day and i fell asleep with the TV on supper in the microwave and everything so the fish didn't even get fed so with the shrimp and snails in the tank i highly doubt it would be leftover food.

Can you describe what exactly is happening to the filter better. Has the impeller stopped? Is the flow just reduced? Is the motor still working but the filter not sucking up water?

If your motor keeps stopping there is definitely a problem. I've never had a HOB filter, even with a fine sponge prefilter, clog up and stop working in a few days. Usually all that happens when the prefilter gets clogged up is the flow gets reduced. I"ve never had the filter stop working all together.

I suggest contacting the company as the filter doesn't sound like its working properly. If you complain right they might send you a new filter.

Otherwise just save up and buy a HOB that fits in the same spot. Aquagiant sells a similar tiny HOB filter for around 10$. I use it on my shrimp tank and it works great.