Fluval Edge Grrrrrr

Ishkabod

My fluval edge filter stopped working again last night and once again i woke up to dead fish but this time it was my L046. I had thought i had figured out the problem and fixed it but aparently even a corase sponge tied around the intake is not enough. I found him in the cave i bought for him. This was the first time i had seen him in there.

Does anyone have any idea as to what i can do about this continuing problem. I've given up buying fish or shrimp for the tank until this is solved.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry: : cry:

I also think you should make a call. Loosing a 200+ dollar fish is a big deal, I'd kick and rock the boat until i got something. As long as it was the products fault, and not an operator error. I'd ask them to send me a new setup. Doesn't hurt to ask.

you have to remember there is also air in a LFS bag. not much air in an edge. with no curculation it spells death in a couple hours.

i'm sure a tank holds alot more oxygen then a cup full of water in a bag

how many times have you seen a fish bowl without a filter or air stone or a betta in a beer mug

i would almost have to say that there could be a problem with the water parameters ....any rotting food or fish terds uses up alot of oxygen during decomposing

Edited by FISHLIPS

The fluval edge filter is just an aquaclear 20. You could try another one that you know works or just use a sponge filter. I use the edge filter on mine with a sponge, and the flow turned down to literally a trickle and I haven't experienced many losses. In fact the freshwater pipefish in there keep breeding (on 3rd spawn right now)

They don't add the air specially, when they tie the bag up oxygen from the air is generally cealed into the bag, to comment on that mini conversation going on in the thread. But to the real topic Rays's idea is great, use another filter that for sure works, also maybe throw in some lava rock so if the filter does break, you'll have more bio filtration in that little tank.

They don't add the air specially, when they tie the bag up oxygen from the air is generally cealed into the bag, to comment on that mini conversation going on in the thread. But to the real topic Rays's idea is great, use another filter that for sure works, also maybe throw in some lava rock so if the filter does break, you'll have more bio filtration in that little tank.

actually big als has compressed air to ad to the fish bag but they tolb me that it is not needed unless its goin to be more than 4hrs before they are put into your tank......i just didn't need it for the 1.5 hr. journey home,so my point was that i don't think the filter alone turning off would deplete oxygen over night low enough to kill the fish and there must be addition factors.

i tend to agree with fishlips, going a night without filtration IMO wouldn't kill a healthy fish. i've had my tanks go quite a few hours with no filters or air pumps running and my fish fared fine, including the oscar and his paratilapia polleni buddy (about 11 inches and 8 inches respectively), in a tank that has no live plants for oxygen source. the tanks were covered with garbage bags and sealed tight (you may remember my thread back in november about my building being treated for bedbugs).

now if you are running co2 24/7 on this tank, then that's a different story, as that can gas the fish and potentially kill them.

The big problem with the Edge is that there is only a fraction of the tank's surface open for gas exchange. And if there was any kind of proteins on the water surface, that's even worse. If the filter was off for 8hrs, it could be deadly to fish that require lots of O2 like the zebra pleco.