Spring Pond Maintenance

MMAX

Just wondering what everyone does in terms of spring maintenance to their ponds. I'm referring to the members who keep water in their ponds year round. All my fish survived the winter in the pond but my algae is getting a bit out of control. I've been scraping the sides and botton with my net, but I'm debating on renting a pond vac. How well do these work?

Just wondering what everyone does in terms of spring maintenance to their ponds. I'm referring to the members who keep water in their ponds year round. All my fish survived the winter in the pond but my algae is getting a bit out of control. I've been scraping the sides and botton with my net, but I'm debating on renting a pond vac. How well do these work?

Personally I feel that the algae on the sides or bottom of the ponds is a good thing , Using up waste that other wise may become

A problem for your fish .I now it don't look perdy but if you keep koi or goldfish you know it's hard to keep plants with them ,

cause they like to eat the plants. String algae not fun , I would remove same as free floating algae ,but that is for myself so

I can See the fish. The fish don't care if there water is green with algae.

As for the pond vac well I don't think it will help the algae thing but it's good for getting the muck and gunk out of the bottom.

How big is your pond? it may be better to drain it then Shopvac it out then scrub your algae out with bleach and water solution-(Danger)

But like I said wall and floor algae in a pond is a GOOD thing in my Books .

Hope this helps some .

The pond's roughly 1400 gal (see my build thread-My Backyard pond/Waterfall Build). There's no way I'm draining it and scrubbing it. Everything in terms of cycling will have to start over from square 1. Green water and algae is to be expected but will clear eventually. Thanks for the reply, I'll keep dredging the bottom and sides with my net.

I drain the ponds and pressure wash the rocks, then refill w new bacteria

I too drain my pond and pressure wash it in the spring its harder with fish in it....lol do you heat your pond over the winter? maybe heat it in the summer and add a pleco?

The pond's roughly 1400 gal (see my build thread-My Backyard pond/Waterfall Build). There's no way I'm draining it and scrubbing it. Everything in terms of cycling will have to start over from square 1. Green water and algae is to be expected but will clear eventually. Thanks for the reply, I'll keep dredging the bottom and sides with my net.

I do agree 100% . I can only Dream of a pond @1400 and my koi would Love that kind of room rolleyes.gif

Try not to ware out the net LOL

Once the weather is constantly warm I take the fish out and change the water. Scrubbing any "Nasties" (Horse trough heater during winter, no cover) I like to leave most of the algae alone on the sides, and gradually clean top to bottom over the course of a month. I'll also remove the filter pick up off the bottom and clean out the pump. Add the external filter and it's pump and we're good to go. Everything gets cleaned, just a little a time.