magnetic algae scraper

johnsmith

Do any of you use those magnetic algae scrapers? Are they worth getting?

A few weeks ago I switched to PFS and I also took out my BN because there was never much algae and the cichlids would always go after the algae wafers. Now I'm getting way more algae on my glass and I'm not sure if it's from the silicates in the sand or if the BN was doing a great job after all :wacko: .

Now I'm getting way more algae on my glass and I'm not sure if it's from the silicates in the sand or if the BN was doing a great job after all

I think the BN was doing his job. I removed my BN from my planted tank as i never saw anymore algae and within 2 weeks my whole tank was covered in algae. I think they do more work then we realize :)

I also love my Mag float. IF you are buying one make sure you get the one rated for your biggest tank or it could not be powerful enough. I use mine all the time. It makes cleaning the glass inbetween WCs easy and you dont' need to get wet. Only problem i'd had is its hard to get off the green spot algae with it. You can have to really scrub it back and forth. But it works great on the softer algaes.

I use a Scotch-Brite scouring pad (can be found at Walmart etc) and clean along the bottom edge of the tank by hand, then use the mag-float for the rest of the glass.

In tanks that don't have deep beds of sand that raise above the bottom trim, then there's no need to even use the scouring pad.

Edited by RD.

Val - for those difficult to remove algae spots, I highly recommend the Scotch-Brite scouring pads. You need to get wet, but hey, such is life with a fishkeeper. :)

Edited by RD.

Thanks everyone, it's always nice to hear how other people do things in their tanks. I'll be sure to look for a mag float the next time I'm out.

I've been using a no name sponge with an abrasive edge (one of the half yellow, half green ones) and it doesn't seem to be scratching the glass. I'm on my last one though so I'll look into the scotch brite brand. I was worried the brand name sponges would have some sort of chemicals in them.

Right now I use a razor for the tough algae. It works like a charm. Again, I don't think it's scratching the glass.

They're good if you are really careful and don't get a grain of sand between them.

Very Very important!

i didn't even see or hear anything bewteen the magnet and i received a scratch...

I'm now more carful around the gravel because you can get a something stuck between the magnets.

I got mine at walmart. It's cheaper that the ones at big al's and it works great!

nev

Yes Val, the Scotch-Brite pads are very safe, a fellow in the US turned me onto them & I've been using them since last year.

Nev - the 'green' colored algae magnets wear out very fast, mag-floats last for many years.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. ;)

Edited by RD.

Nev - the 'green' colored algae magnets wear out very fast, mag-floats last for many years. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. 

I'll agree to that!!!!

but i have had mine now for just about a year... and it has been used on my 86 gallon tank and a small 10 gallon tank that my wife to be has.

My next magnetic pad will be the ones that i saw at big al's.

the only reason i suggested the green ones from walmart, is for anyone that has not used one may look at the 30 - 40 price range as being too high for something that they have never tried before. I think the one at walmart is about $16 and I bought that one to give it a try. Now that i know the how it works and the brilliance behine the tool... I'd go out and buy a better now for sure!

I aggree that you get what you pay for!

nev

• 1 month later...
Do any of you use those magnetic algae scrapers? Are they worth getting?

A few weeks ago I switched to PFS and I also took out my BN because there was never much algae and the cichlids would always go after the algae wafers. Now I'm getting way more algae on my glass and I'm not sure if it's from the silicates in the sand or if the BN was doing a great job after all :wacko: .

We carry regular algae scrapers as well as ones with regular & digital thermometers built in!!!!