Blood Parrot Turned White. Possible Parasite?

Jasmine07

Hi there

my blood parrot turned almost completely white the other day, and i'm wondering if i should worry or not. i know they are apt to color changes but this was sudden and his entire color is washed out. he used to be fairly bright ornge, and now he looks like a pink convict color. and his one gill may be a little red. i keep my fish at my moms house cause thts where the 100gal tank is, and i recently moved in with my boyfriend. i noticed one time i was over there that he was hiding behind an ornament and kinda sitting on the bottom a lot. which is something he's never done before. my mom wanted to check on him she she tipped the ornament over and she thinks se saw a bunch of little bugs on the ornament when she tipped it over, and she said it seemed like the blood parrot ate them all when she did this. i do have a bunch of fry convicts in this tank as well, but their fairly big now, and there's no way the mom and dad convicts would let ther babies get that close to another fish. becase i didn't see this myself i'm not sure if she;s just crazy or if i should be worried. other than that the fish is acting fine. he still eats, his find and scales look fine, and he does still swim around fine. he just always returns to that spot. any suggestions on what i should do? i would put him in a sick tank if i had a free one. right now one of my sick tanks has 2 small oscars in it becuase of fin rot, and i lent my other one to my byfriends mom cause her oscar has hole-in-the head. i do have a rubbermaid container i could use if i had to i guess..

and while here i'll ask another question.

i have an albino oscar and a black oscar. a few months ago, thy both developed fin rot, so i put them in a sick tank and treated them with melafix. they both cleared up and i did a water chnge on my big tank. when i put them back in however they both developed fin rot again. so i put them back in the sick tank and i made sure they were completely healed before i put them back in the big tank again. i do regular water changes, and i have tested my ammonia and nitrate levels and their fine. i transferred the oscars back into the big tank and within 5 hours their fins were deteriorating again. their always fine in the sick tank but when i try to ut them back they develop fin rot immediatly again. i'm almost hinking of selling them becuase i can no seem to house them properly. i have a blood parrot, 2 convicts, and a jack dempsey in my 100gal, and their all fine. (except for the blood parrot which jus happened) this oscar problem has been going on for a fw months now.

if you took the time to read this all i thank you for your time. any suggestions would really help

Sounds like a color change due to stress. I know my convict parents harassed, all my fish that were much bigger than them, when they had babies. My 8" Venustus male, and all the rest, cowered in the top corner of the 110 gallon tank till I removed the convicts. boxing.gif

stress sounds like the initial cause but there might be other issues if the stress has been prolonged.

From what i remember fin rot is usually a symptom of bad water and poor health but it seems like the water in your tank is fine. Be sure that you have checked with a liquid test kit not just test strips since they can be unreliable. One other thing that comes to mind is PH. If you don't have a test kit for everything i suggest bringing it into a pet store and most of them will be able to do a test for you on all the parameters. Just be sure to bring enough if you are going to a good store that does the liquid tests, I know the biggest pet store only does strips but that as an inital test is perfectly fine and if nothing comes up then go further in testing.

Good luck

L