Water Movement In 50G. Tank

My3KidsDad

I will be buying a pump today and wonder what sort of volume would be good, and what direction should the pump take- rolling top to bottom, or horizontally around? We are trying to minimize or eliminate green slime in our planted 50g. with co2 and 25 odd fish.

Edited by My3KidsDad

If there are particular areas that the slime seems to prefer, chances are you have low circulation there- just aim a pump in that direction. Obviously, you want something submersible so that it's not aerating the surface.

I like the Eheim Aquaball since you can aim it where you need, and the flow rate isn't blasting stuff everywhere. Unfortunately, it is pretty big and doesn't hide easily.

I use maxijets and aquaclears in my tank. The hydor korillias move a lot of water at a small size - maybe a korillia1 would be decent for your tank. If you don't have much for hardscape, you won't need much; but, if you have a lit of wood and rock you may want to get a couple small ones.

Do you have a plecco or 3 or an otocinclus(sp?) or five. I have found these guys are great at keeping algae off my plants and glass. The pumps and Phosphate are great ideas but if you don't allready have them then for allot less power and money over time you might just want to try them.

Good luck

L