Weird Shrimp

Hippoherder

Sorry for the bad pics...was best I could do with one hand and a crumby camera.

I have a few oddballs like this in my tank. The only things that have ever been in the tank are cherry shrimp (predominantly), a few crs (that didn't live very long), and a few rainbow shrimp (which I don't know what happened to...

It is possible for the rainbow shrimp to cross with cherries, but arne't supposed to cross with crs... The others like this are black or so red they look black unless the light hits them the right way. They usually have some small marking...one has a white diamond on the fan of its tail, a couple that have one or two tiny white lines just above the fan of the tail. I only see these guys when I tear the tank apart (Its a fry tank that has so much hornwart you cant see a thing). I figure a crs had to cross with something it isn't supposed to...but if so, then why are they all black/super dark cherry and not the normal red? If the rainbows crossed then why the small markings?

Anyways, lots of oddballs in the tank...any ideas what this is? I've never had a cbs in the tank.

Cherries come from a form of shrimP that gives us blue, yellow and brown (as seen inmy own tanks), so why not black? :)

That's neat! I have some dark plum ones with cream colored diamonds on the tail and cream stripe on the back and I have one that is almost black. In the light, it's has lots of black tiger striping and mottling and the lighter parts are blue. I took pics but same thing, they don't do them any justice. These shrimp are all the neocaridina heteropoda variety.

there are a couple guys down south that are starting a black cherry breeding program... he just sold a couple not that long ago. check out The Planted tank. i think the thread is called "the Black Cherry Project" it can be done with selective breeding! :P

Amy

• 2 weeks later...