Mystery Pond Deaths

Nauticus

Built about a 120 gallon pond in my micro back yard just before the week and a half of rain started. I treated the water with prime and have a pump/filter running on it that will cycle at roughly 450 gallons/ hour. Lots of water movement too from the fountain. I have added copious bacteria cultures to the water to seed my sponge in the filter as well as the 5 inches of gravel in the bottom as well as all the gravel on the ledges. I let it sit through the rain and added two feeder goldfish three days ago.

They died within hours. They were jumping, swimming really funny, and were near the surface not gasping as much as putting on bursts of speed.

I disposed of them and tested my water. Ammonia, and Nitrates were 0. So I added some more prime to be on the safe side and then waited another day and put two more in. Same thing happened. I tested the water with the same results and this time I checked the salinity, and ppm of dissolved solids getting great results for freshwater systems for both. Ph came in at 7.9ish.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do? I am thinking of pumping the water out and refilling the pond.

I looked for debris but really other than an earthworm and three or four leaves from the nearby tree the water seemed normal.

Thanks for all the help.

What kind of liner did you use? What was the source of your rock? Te reason I ask is that it sounds like some kind of poisoning - the fish really didn't want to be in there. We know it's not ammonia (assuming your test kits are good - but Prime would help that anyway), and it's not chlorine bc of the copious amounts of Prime. Those are the most common toxins that will kill fast, but if your liner isn't fish-safe, then it could do them in right quick as well.

What kind of liner did you use? What was the source of your rock? Te reason I ask is that it sounds like some kind of poisoning - the fish really didn't want to be in there. We know it's not ammonia (assuming your test kits are good - but Prime would help that anyway), and it's not chlorine bc of the copious amounts of Prime. Those are the most common toxins that will kill fast, but if your liner isn't fish-safe, then it could do them in right quick as well.

Temp is just normal outdoors temperature.

The rock is from a landscaping place and was hauled in to a site for an acreage developer my Dad works for and was allowed to take enough rock for my pond.

The liner was from a laguna kit I bought from a green house. Because of the trees in the area as well as the amount of work done by contractors on our complex for the fences and yards, I used cement to secure the rock and seal in the liner. The cement is the same cement that was used to build a 7000 gallon pond out on an acreage that was in operation for close to 7 years without any mystery fish death.

There could be some residue on the gravel which came from a gravel blasting place and had some clay or something still on it after I washed it. I didn't feel like washing each pebble by hand so I just tossed it in.

As far as run off, it may be possible but I built the rim up by two inches to avoid dirt and stuff falling in from my garden which surrounds the pond.

Edited by Nauticus

If you're using cement, I'm thinking it migh not be cured, yet. How long was it filled w water and running before you put fish in? Maybe run it a week or so w/o fish, then add your bacteria an fish... Just a guess.

If you're using cement, I'm thinking it migh not be cured, yet. How long was it filled w water and running before you put fish in? Maybe run it a week or so w/o fish, then add your bacteria an fish... Just a guess.

I left it for 72 hours as was recommended by the pond owner. However I just read an article that says to empty and refill then do another 72 to get out the lime. I will try that and let you all know.

Thanks.