Spray bar ideas

Maximus

I was wondering how everyone else has their spray bars set up..

I think there must be a better way.

If the water is too high, I get no airation action.. If the water is low, it's noisy. Somewhere in between, it works perfect.. For a few hours.

Is it better for circulation if the water is shot horoz. across the top, or down into the water at the back of the tank? I tried standing it up on end in the corner, and realized that water pressure in the tank actually counters the flow.. Ok.

So it has to be at the top. I got a new piece of tube, and made a new bar with 50% more holes in it. This seems to have been a good idea. I'm thinking of adding even more. - Less restriction to flow for increased volume, reducing pressure and possibly noise but still having enough for good circulation.. Anyone else experiment with this?

If a moderator thinks this should be in DIY, plz move it.

Well I'm toying with the idea of some sort of 'float' system so the bar goes up and down with the water level.. When I figure it out, I will patent it then sell you all one at a great price.. :thumbs:

I have pointed the thing down, and I think it is quieter but it still changes as the water evaporates.

A 'top-off' system would be a nightmare.

This tank is in the bedroom, and did have a pwrhead running till last week. The main unit is an Ehiem, and is sooo quiet... Which is what I want. The powerhead was quiet, but not silent.... But I guess I will put it back till I get my patent.. :D

Get your tank water level to height in the tank you generally like it. Put your spray bar in about 3/4 inch (2 cm) below that, in horizontal position angled down at 45 degrees. It will be quiet and by time the water evaporates enough for splashing just top it up but by then it should be time for a partial water change anyways because a week or 10 days will have gone by.