120G.Malawi.Tank stocklist

sun

Hey all,

The list below is for a 120G. I am thinking to get the tank by this August (how? and where?) so there might still be something to dig a bit.

Hap:

Option 1: Dimidiochromis Compressiceps / Malawi eye biter , 1M/2F

Option 2: Nimbochromis Fuscotaeniatus / Fusco, 1m/2F

Peacock:

Option 1: Aul. Jacobfriebergi / Eureka, 1m/2f

Option 2: Aul. Baenschi / Sunshine, 1m/2f

Mbuna:

Option 1: Ps. Saulosi 3m/6f

Option 2: Yellow labs 3 & Ps Domesoni 6.

Fairly new to the hobby. Welcome any input! :bang1:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey sun...

from what i have read... Domesoni will not be a good mix with haps or peacocks...

if you want to keep demasoni's... you may just want to go with Mbuna...

With the saulosi's that i just got... the dominant male seems to be a bit of a bully towards the yellow labs... its not serious enough to have to do something to break them up... but it may be something to think about.

I'll keep you posted on my holding saulosi female. Very tough to find those fish around here!

nev

this is the fun part... choose your fish wisely!

Thanks nev! good luck to your holding Saulosi! B)

Sorry Degrassi. I was thinking something like this: :blush:

Plan A - peaceful

Hap:

Dimidiochromis Compressiceps / Malawi eye biter , 1M/2F

Peacock:

Aul. Baenschi / Sunshine, 1m/2f

Mbuna:

Ps. Saulosi 3m/6f

Or Plan B - aggressive

Hap:

Nimbochromis Fuscotaeniatus / Fusco, 1m/2F

Peacock:

Aul. Jacobfriebergi / Eureka, 1m/2f

Mbuna:

Yellow labs 3 & Ps Domesoni 6.

Or any other combinations of the above fishes.

Hope it is a little clear now... :&

from what i have read... Domesoni will not be a good mix with haps or peacocks...if you want to keep demasoni's... you may just want to go with Mbuna...

This just confirmed my concern. I had one Domesoni nipping on a sunshine peacock which is 3 times bigger. :boxed: I guess I will have to think about it again then...

I have to agree that a 120g(4') is a bit small for those larger aggresive haps. I"d stick to more peaceful species if you want to mix haps, and mbuna. And if you want to add peacocks too i'd choose one that is a bit more aggressive because when i've mixed peacocks with mbuna/haps they are usually picked on.

Personally if you want to mix i'd so yellow labs and/or saulosi with 2 species of haps(something medium sized and not too aggressive)

But thats just an idea

With the saulosi's that i just got... the dominant male seems to be a bit of a bully towards the yellow labs... its not serious enough to have to do something to break them up... but it may be something to think about.

If I decide go Saulosi, I guess I will have to give up on my labs. :wacko:

I am not too sure about it but i remember ive read somewhere that the male Saulosi might cross breed with the labs. -07- . ? no idea.

What I like saulosi the most is the bright yellow shcool of females . :thumbs: . I am big fan of those bright vibrant yellow color small fishes, all types, fresh or salt water. It seems to me that saulosi females are the only mbunas that hang around together most of the time. To me, that is COOL! :kiss: really cool!

Another mbuna that mixes well is Ps.acei. They "school" and are peaceful enough to mix with haps. I have yellow labs and ps.acei in with red empress and P.phenochillus and they do really well.

So saulosi and Acei would probably mix well too and there shouldnt' be any crossbreeding possibilities like there would be with yellow labs.

I have to agree that a 120g(4') is a bit small for those larger aggresive haps. I"d stick to more peaceful species if you want to mix haps, and mbuna. And if you want to add peacocks too i'd choose one that is a bit more aggressive because when i've mixed peacocks with mbuna/haps they are usually picked on.

I was worrying about aggression issues of Fusco too. Okey then, at least I guess I can still admire them without putting all in my own tanks anyways. -07-

Good luck trying to find good quality saulosi in Alberta.

I'm working on it.

I have a female holding right now. The male saulosi is the pic in my avatar!

he is not the nicest male i have seen... but he is not the worst.

I bought james breeding group from winnipeg.

I emailed James to see how many the female usually spits... he said between 20 and 30.

Then with the addition of Kyle's Saulosi's i'll have a full breeding group of 2 males and 3 females F1 saulosi.

They are very tough fish to find! the closest i could find them that would ship was winnipeg.

I'm on it sun... working towards that goal!

nev