Sand In Sa Cichlid Tank

stsetter

I don't remember the brand name but it is a decorative sand from Michael's that we used for a Sand Ceremony at our wedding. If you don't know if it's safe or not I do have a 5G fry tank that is currently almost done cycling that I could put it in first (don't care if the two fish in there pass away) but I don't know what signs to look for (other than a dead Molly and Platy). Should I monitor calcium, nitrates, or something else? Also, how detrimental is a calcium based sand in a planted tank? I am assuming it would destroy my tank but just curious. Thanks

Calcium based sand will raise your GH and pH. One way to teat it is to put some in a cup and add some vinegar. If it bubbles, it will affect you aquarium. If not it is less likely to cause any change.

The vinegar test will tell you if the sand is basic or not. I don't know how to test for toxicity except to try it on expendable fish.

So, I added the sand last night (after running a vinegar test, a pH test and a nitrate test) only to realize that I am a dumbass and the sand is too fine to put into an aquarium. Needless to say as I poured it in it formed one long string of sand (cool pattern though) and did nothing but make a mess. After about two hours and a 80-90% water change I went and picked up some playground sand and my big tank is just waiting on the dust to settle. So far all the fish and shrimp are still alive and seem to be doing well. As my spare tank is only a 5g I moved my two red rams, one ottocinclus, and my two livebearers back into the newly renovated big tank and I left my electric blues (as they are a little more finicky) in my 5 basically to protect them and to see if I can get them to spawn. It was a scary couple of hours but all turned out well!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see you already got some new stuff. But I found that pool filter sand works great. It's silica based so it won't scratch your tank and it doesn't clump up like playground or beach sand allowing better circulation, it's also heavier than sandbox sand so it doesn't get kicked up into the filter as easily. It's the same colour as regular beach sand and costs about $20 for a 50lb bag so it's quite affordable for big tanks.