Angelfish Help Needed

Wackinator

Hey guys so kind of in need of help figuring out whats going on.

The day before yesterday I bought a pair of angelfish, and yesterday I noticed both the male and female had their papillas out so I knew that they were in the mood lol and today when I came home from work, noticed both of them cleaning out the flowerpot I had put in the tank and pair seemed to still have their papillas, all good signs but then a couple hours later I noticed the female trying to lay eggs but the male not letting her, he eats all the eggs she lays and kinda just pushes her away from the flowerpot.

Is this common? The person I got the angels from had told me that they had laid eggs but being a community tank with kribs and other angelfish, the eggs were eaten by other fish and they had actually said the male was pretty protective of the eggs and was fanning and guarding them.

Could this just be because they are still new in the tank?

By the way tank is a 33 gallon, and the tank mates are 9 cories, 4 black mollies, 3 zebra danios and one female crowntail bettas and they all seem to be getting along.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Hey guys so kind of in need of help figuring out whats going on.

The day before yesterday I bought a pair of angelfish, and yesterday I noticed both the male and female had their papillas out so I knew that they were in the mood lol and today when I came home from work, noticed both of them cleaning out the flowerpot I had put in the tank and pair seemed to still have their papillas, all good signs but then a couple hours later I noticed the female trying to lay eggs but the male not letting her, he eats all the eggs she lays and kinda just pushes her away from the flowerpot.

Is this common? The person I got the angels from had told me that they had laid eggs but being a community tank with kribs and other angelfish, the eggs were eaten by other fish and they had actually said the male was pretty protective of the eggs and was fanning and guarding them.

Could this just be because they are still new in the tank?

By the way tank is a 33 gallon, and the tank mates are 9 cories, 4 black mollies, 3 zebra danios and one female crowntail bettas and they all seem to be getting along.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

It could be new tank jitters or he could be an egg eater. Because they have protected eggs previously I would say it's probably just their nerves & a new tank. Time will tell, it may take a few spawns for them to get it right.

I have always bred mine in community tanks and have observed them eat their eggs many times. Maybe they think they should eat their eggs before the other fish do, I don't know?? I just keep a sword plant in the tank and they lay on the leaf, generally later afternoon or early evening( and they especially like aquarium club nights, go figure). I then artificially hatch the eggs or else they are gone before morning.