New Tank Set-Up Question

stsetter

Hi everyone, I am going to be setting up an Amazon biotype tank and had a few questions regarding the initial cycling of the tank. First things first, it will be a heavily planted tank with rocks and driftwood, the tank is 75 gallons and will eventually house three pairs of Rams, 10-12 Neons, 10-12 small Tetras (forgot their name), as of right now 4-6 Amano Shrimp, and either 2 Ottocinclus or 2 Ranger Plecos. During the cycling phase I will be putting in my plants, filter from my current tank, and some of the water from my current tank's water changes along with one Dalmation Molly and one Mickey Mouse Platy. So on to my question, the filter I will be using is a Fluval U3 which is rated for up to 40 gallons. Is this under-filtering going to be detrimental to the cycling phase? Also, the only fish that will be in there right after cycling is done will be a pair of Bolivian Red Rams, a German Blue Ram, a Gold Ram, and the 4-6 Amano Shrimp. Can I still under-filter the tank for a while with just those fish in their or will I kill them? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Your plan looks sound but does appear to be lacking a little in it's ability to cycle.

A couple of suggestions for you.....

DO use the filter from your other tank.

DON'T use the water from your other tank. Water does nothing as far as beneficial bacteria and has little to no value for cycling.

DO add more beneficial bacteria. I accomplished this by adding nylon bags of substrate from an established tank. This will make a huge difference and should certainly shorten your cycle.

Please be sure to monitor your water parameters with the appropriate test kits.

Good luck!

If you're really going to plant it heavily (ie. Most of the footprint covered - less than 20% exposed sand), then cycling won't be an issue. You'll still want to increase ye flow in the tank. I'd add a medium powerhead or two

If you think you have enough plants to call it heavily planted, add a few more, and your fish should be fine. The more fast-growing, the better. Once your tank is established and you get your 2nd filter, you can replace some fast growers with crypts and other slower growing plants that you might like better