Tired Of Algae.. Need To Start Over

I'm tired of algae and really don't like how the tank looks like right now. I'm thinking to start over..by shutting down the tank and change the filter, throw all the gravel, rocks & plants. Scrub the tank until I don't see the algae with my naked eyes. Now.. before I go crazy cleaning the tank, any suggestion or advice what I should

do? What would be the fastest way to get rid the algae other than getting a brand new tank?

Is it a planted tank, or just a tank with some plants? If you have a planted tank, achieving balance will cause the algae to die back. Usually, that involves increasing CO2 and/or other nutrients so that the plants can have everything they need to outcompete the algae.

Is it a planted tank, or just a tank with some plants? If you have a planted tank, achieving balance will cause the algae to die back. Usually, that involves increasing CO2 and/or other nutrients so that the plants can have everything they need to outcompete the algae.

It's planted tank... or used to be planted tank because now it's become

an algae tank.

I'm working on my last 2 tanks to go almost algae free and jvision is right, added CO2 will help. Also, increasing current, fast growing stem or floating plants(hygros, pennyworts, limnophilias, etc)will take awsy nutrients from the algae, raising your light source, and also nerite snails and BNs to eat the algae. In my larger tanks, I have albino sailfin plecos, and they are algae vacuums too.

so... do you think it's still good idea to start over? i used mini CO2 kit from Fluval.

Well... if you start over but don't fix the problem you will just end right back up where you are.

Adding a good, reliable source of co2 will be the most help. Maybe cutting back lighting. What do you have for lighting over what size tank?

@jcgd: yeah if I start over, I wanna do it right. I think the problem I have caused by having too much light/heat.

I used led MR11 and the tank is placed is facing west. I don't think I can move it to a different place.

@the influence: it's fluval edge. everything was ok before of course.. and now it's out of control.

I don't think light is the concern, it's probably a lack of Carbon and Nitrogen. I have the same LEDs and use Excel in my Edge, and don't have any algae problems. Since it is such a small tank, stating over won't be a huge burden.

Use Excel according to instructions, and you may need to ad a tiny amount of KNO3 and maybe some KH2PO4 a couple times per week.