Cichlids Tank With Crayfish

dave3265

Hi all,

I am really new to the hobby. After walking through Petland one day, my kids decided they wanted a couple of crayfish for our tank. The 90 gallon tank had about 25 assorted cichlids in it...Africans, Venustus and Convicts. Have not seen any problems yet amoungst the fish. But now I am worried about these crayfish. We bought 3, 2 males and a female. So far they seems to stay away from each other in the tank. But I have seen them go after some of the cichlids. The female is larger than the males, the males being both about the same size. Just wondering if anyone out there has some experience with these crustaceans, and what your thoughts are on the safety of the fish and crayfish being all together.

If you can make a few caves that only the crayfish can fit in, they might be ok. A couple guys at work manage to keep crayfish with oscars, which are notorious for eating crustaceans.

A couple guys at work manage to keep crayfish with oscars

Yep- that's pretty much how it goes! :D

That's hilarious! I can just imagine the Oscar's thinking. 'You've got to hide from me every moment. I only have to catch you... once.'

i think eventually they will be food especially after a molt. not a great ideas considering it cost a bit buying them from petland. i would separate them in a tank of their own. get rid of one male and get another female.

Js

Sadly, you were right. The cichlids tore up the female crayfish during the night. :cuss: Have moved the males out to other smaller tanks now....what a shame, she was a big, nice looking crayfish.