Newbie Starting Out

Johnboyslim

So I have found myself in possession of a 90ish Gal tank and am thinking I would love to start a reef tank. I have previously had several freshwater tanks, We started smaller with tetras and sword tails and then graduated to 4 piranhas, several oscars. That was about 10 years ago and I really liked it, this time around I thought I would build a salt water tank. I love the colors and varieties of fish and I have been reading up on starting up a tank and I wanted to ask people who are actually running tanks what to watch out for.

The biggest question I have is relating to the tank that I have. It had an iguana in it before I got it, and i have heard that if there has been a lizard in the tank then you can't have fish because of ammonia. And before anyone asks, this is not a terrarium, it is an aquarium. haha. From what I have read online, as long as you are keeping an eye on the ammonia levels in the tank while you are cycling you should be fine. Is that true??

I am also looking for some advice on what would be the best equipment for a 90 gal tank. I would like to keep my options open for a larger tank in the future and so I was thinking I should get a filter and skimmer and such that are slightly bigger than I need. Any suggestions on what the best equipment would be? I am leaning towards a canister filter unless someone can tell me other wise. Is there anything I should look for if I buy used equipment?

I hope someone here can help me out.

Thanks

JBS

As far as the ammonia goes, just make sure you properly cycle the tank and don't have ANY fish in there until the tank has stabilized. If you have some friends in the hobby that could get you some filter media or a hand full of gravel from an established tank, it would expedite the process. Good luck!

Edited by jeremoose

if you want to go salt a drilled tank is the way to go just get some good live rock pest free off someone parting out there tank i may have to start soon as no one has even looked at my setup and for the price im asking id never even come close to making money back i went bigger for everthing never got in to the corals went with a predator tank

As far as the ammonia goes, just make sure you properly cycle the tank and don't have ANY fish in there until the tank has stabilized. If you have some friends in the hobby that could get you some filter media or a hand full of gravel from an established tank, it would expedite the process. Good luck!

Pardon my inexperience, what is filter media? And will just a handful be good enough?? or would I need more?

if you want to go salt a drilled tank is the way to go just get some good live rock pest free off someone parting out there tank i may have to start soon as no one has even looked at my setup and for the price im asking id never even come close to making money back i went bigger for everthing never got in to the corals went with a predator tank

A couple of questions for you, you are talking about a drilled tank, would that mean I would drill holes myself, or I would have to buy one??

What kind of pests would you find in live rock? What do you look for in live rock to ensure that you don't get pests?

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of pests would you find in live rock?

I'm not an expert but my uncle has been having a problem with a mantis shrimp...it eats ALOT of his fish. He got rid of one awhile back but now he's found out that he has about 2 more to get rid of. There were probably mantis shrimp eggs in the live rock he bought.

My brother also had a crab (which ate one of his cleaner shrimp and a Chromis) that was hiding in his live rock that he bought from someone.

Those are the two pests that I know of...hope this helps a little bit.

• 4 months later...

All reptiles can carry samonella, but if you clean the tank very well it shouldn't be an issue, I've swapped fish and reptile tanks a few times (I even have a tank running with fish and fire belly toads!) and never once had a problem even though I keep a fair number of reptiles. I'm afraid I can't help much on the salt aspect as I'm just starting one myself.Reptiles however.....