Vampire Shrimp

Ron

I'm pretty sure I saw one at Paradise Pet's in St. Albert a few months ago. Haven't seen any more since.

Edit: I just read that you're in Calgary...Paradise Pet's is a bit far away, sorry about that. I hope you can find some though, they're interesting looking shrimp. Plus they have a really cool name lol

Edited by DragonNeko

I'm pretty sure I saw one at Paradise Pet's in St. Albert a few months ago. Haven't seen any more since.

Edit: I just read that you're in Calgary...Paradise Pet's is a bit far away, sorry about that. I hope you can find some though, they're interesting looking shrimp. Plus they have a really cool name lol

Thanks for the reply anyways. SkyGrl has a Bamboo shrimp in her RCS tank and he looked like such a brute in there; I was thinking a Vampire shrimp would look like Gozilla trampling a village, LOL. If I can't find one around, I could ask my wholesaler to bring them in but I may have to take 4 or 5.

Ron

Thanks for the reply anyways. SkyGrl has a Bamboo shrimp in her RCS tank and he looked like such a brute in there; I was thinking a Vampire shrimp would look like Gozilla trampling a village, LOL. If I can't find one around, I could ask my wholesaler to bring them in but I may have to take 4 or 5.

Ron

lol That would be quite the site! I hope you find one soon :)

Ron

They're really neat shrimp! I have 2 of them and they hang out in the current with my Bamboo shrimp. They have a nice blue tint to them and remind me of Popeye with the big biceps lol. I'm in Edmonton, so I can't recommend a place in Calgary to find them. But if you're ever in Edmonton, Aquarium Central is where I got mine from:)

They're really neat shrimp! I have 2 of them and they hang out in the current with my Bamboo shrimp. They have a nice blue tint to them and remind me of Popeye with the big biceps lol. I'm in Edmonton, so I can't recommend a place in Calgary to find them. But if you're ever in Edmonton, Aquarium Central is where I got mine from:)

How big are yours now? I've found conflicting information on them, some say they max out at 4" and other sources say 6". Personally I say the bigger the better but at 6" it's fans might catch baby PFRs so I'll need to move them.

Ron

How big are yours now? I've found conflicting information on them, some say they max out at 4" and other sources say 6". Personally I say the bigger the better but at 6" it's fans might catch baby PFRs so I'll need to move them.

Ron

Mine are still small. They are both about 3 inches at the moment but I hope they get HUGE! I think the conflicting info is because most people can't keep them alive for them to reach maturity, also, they may have females only. If they are anything like Bamboo shrimp, the males get larger. My one bamboo male is about 4 inches! It probably also depends on if they get the proper nutrients. If they don't it could stunt their growth like what happens with fish.

Mine are still small. They are both about 3 inches at the moment but I hope they get HUGE! I think the conflicting info is because most people can't keep them alive for them to reach maturity, also, they may have females only. If they are anything like Bamboo shrimp, the males get larger. My one bamboo male is about 4 inches! It probably also depends on if they get the proper nutrients. If they don't it could stunt their growth like what happens with fish.

My Vampire shrimp are just over 2", I hope I can raise them properly and get them huge. I just love big inverts, I would love a cherax destructor.

My Vampire shrimp are just over 2", I hope I can raise them properly and get them huge. I just love big inverts, I would love a cherax destructor.

Yeah, they would be awesome..to bad they would kill off everything in my tank lol. I saw them and the albino version at my LFS. Very kewl.

Yeah, they would be awesome..to bad they would kill off everything in my tank lol. I saw them and the albino version at my LFS. Very kewl.

Seriously? Were they for sale? I may have to make a trip up or have my firends pick me up one. Where were they?

Hmm, well maybe these were not the same thing then but they were small blue and albino lobsters. Aquarium Central in Edmonton sells them. I think I also saw them at BigAl's. They didn't call them cherax destructors though so I don't know if it's the same thing. If it's not, you could always call AC, they will bring in specialty stuff for the customers.