Corydoras Melini Breeding

Cgy_Betta_Guy

Figured this was kinda neat so thought I would post it up.

A couple weeks ago my c. Melini started to go for it after a water change. This is the action up close.

tee'd up

IMG_4361.jpg

IMG_4372.jpg

female cruising around with the eggs looking for suitable spot

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4383.jpg

and contact!

IMG_4385.jpg

Unfortunately the eggs were eaten up by the community so I moved them into a nursery/quarantine tank and they spawned again a couple days ago. Here is a close up of a couple of the eggs on a e. bleheri compacta that is currently floating in the tank. Probably about 20 eggs were laid... only about 10 are not fungused or eaten at this point. I see movement so I am expecting them to hatch sunday... anyone know what or how I can feed the little guys if they are alive?

IMG_4496.jpg

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

I feed mine micro worms, ken's golden pearl 5-50 micro, fhreshly hatched brine shrimp and decapsulated brine shrimp. In a tank heated at 78F, the eggs should hatch within three days. the hardest part is keeping the water clean enough for the fry, they tend to die really easy.

Wow...how did you get pics of them when they never seem to stay still long enough?!! That's so cool that you got pics of the spawning!

I would assume you feed them when they use up their egg sack...but I'm not sure really. Vince has bred some cory's lately...i'm sure he has more insight. ;)

Congrats!

Believe me they are hard to capture on camera in focus when they are swimming that fast. I have about 20 pics that are out of focus for each that is in focus.

Well I just confirmed that they hatched or were eaten last night (I have endlers and a couple amanos in the same tank)... the eggs that were on the sword are now gone. I did however just see something small and white go whipping along the gravel so perhaps I have 1 or 2 of the little guys that made it. I dont have any of the food you mentioned Vince but will improvise something using Hikari First Bites in a solution. Thanks!

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy