Suggestion For Cichlid In Bn Pleco Breeding Tank

Crystal

I have a 20g tank with a pair of Albino Bristlenose plecos. I would like a easy breeding fish, preferably a cichlid with parental care, to go with them, but I don't want a fish which will eat/kill the newly evicted BN pleco fry.

All I can think of is the dwarf cichlids. But our water is 7.6 and apistos and even rams don't fare well.

I am tempted to try another dwarf shelldwelling cichlid, maybe Gold occies. Anyone know if Krib pulcher will eat young BN pleco fry? Always wanted a pair of krib, just so pretty...

Any other suggestions? It is always interesting to see what people can recommend which I never even think of.

I've bred a number of dwarf cichlids and think that just about any of them will pick off baby BNs. Perhaps a livebearer or dwarf rainbow or killi would be better?

If you are set on a dwarf cichlid, I have some Lemon-lime dwarf cichlids that are breeding in a tank that houses small BNs that are around the 1" mark.

I had livebearers , which just pick, pick, pick. Dwarf rainbows are nice, but I would like fry. The Multis in my 90g never bothered the BN fry even when breeding (except when one tried to enter a female's shell). I had lemon lime cichlids before, they eat the fry whole, picking them right through the bars of the floating fry traps.

I could never keep blue rams alive, although the red rams lived and bred for years, their eggs never hatched.

I think I am leaning to wards a pair or two of gold occies, or maybe a pair of krib. The occies are about the same size as the Multis. I don't know if krib would eat BN fry or not.

I'm pretty sure, that as long as you have cichlids that inhabit the lower portion of the tank, that they will pick off any BN fry that they see. My Apistos LUV eating BN fry...and my Kribs were vicious! If you want to keep BN fry alive, you'll either have to change your plans and go for a fish that dwells higher up or remove the BN fry as soon as they absorb their egg sacks and can be moved to their own tank.

I'm pretty sure, that as long as you have cichlids that inhabit the lower portion of the tank, that they will pick off any BN fry that they see. My Apistos LUV eating BN fry...and my Kribs were vicious! If you want to keep BN fry alive, you'll either have to change your plans and go for a fish that dwells higher up or remove the BN fry as soon as they absorb their egg sacks and can be moved to their own tank.

I was pretty sure that the list of possible fish would be small. I may have to change my plans. Thanks for letting me know about the krib.

• 2 weeks later...

You could try one of the smaller umbunas from Lake Malawi. Since they are herbivores and stay smaller, it should work. They don't seem to bother other fry in the tank. Lamps are predators any eat anything they can fit in their mouths.

Cheers

:beer: