Newly Relocated From Ottawa

2000LX

Hi, Just relocated to Cochrane from Ottawa, and wanted to share some ideas. I was actively importing wild caught Tanganyikan Cichlids and had a small breeding business(about 60 tanks). I had a few customers out in Calgary, and one in Edmonton. Had to scale things way back to just one big display tank now, and am in the process of getting it re-set up. I've been keeping Tangayikans for over 30 years and have been to the lake twice. Still trying to evaluate the water here to determine how sucessful I'll be at getting them to thrive here.

Cheers

Mark

Welcome, Ottawa is a beautiful city! Might take a bit of time to get use to the cold, and short summers we get here!

Hope you settled in good, good luck with setting up the new tanks!

Actually we used to live here and moved out East for the last ten years due to the job. Glad to be back, but you're right..the weather is always an issue. I always remember fall around here is about a week long. Leaves turn yellow, first wind comes along and knocks them all off, and then falls over! Of all the seasons, fall out east is pretty spectacular with the colour. But they don't get chinooks, although I heard we didn't have too many last year.

Thanks for all the welcomes. Tank is still being set up. If anyone might have some healthy bacteria they could spare me to help get the big tank cycled, I sure would appreciate it. Just an old filter mat or some media, that has lots of good bacteria, and I can replace it with some new media. Even some gravel or sand would help start things. I'm doing a fishless cycle with ammonia, but still takes 3-4 weeks.

Thanks again!