Media Question Tank Upgrade

damtrees

Soim about to transfer from my 150 to my large tank about 480 gallons total rightnow i have 2 fx5 1 ehime and one sponge filter running on my 150 i have thesump all running on the new tank nothing in it yet just fresh water . Thefilters on the old tank are just filled to the brim with ceramic rings and suchnot sure what it would all work out to but i have an additional 100 # of ringsthat aren’t cycled at this time is my filtration going to be covered if i justmix all the old media with the new would say it would work out to about 1 oldto 5 new kind ratio i know it will take some time for the new to getestablished but in the mean time will i still be covered as it was enough inthe small tank just different ways of delivery

Soim about to transfer from my 150 to my large tank about 480 gallons total rightnow i have 2 fx5 1 ehime and one sponge filter running on my 150 i have thesump all running on the new tank nothing in it yet just fresh water . Thefilters on the old tank are just filled to the brim with ceramic rings and suchnot sure what it would all work out to but i have an additional 100 # of ringsthat aren't cycled at this time is my filtration going to be covered if i justmix all the old media with the new would say it would work out to about 1 oldto 5 new kind ratio i know it will take some time for the new to getestablished but in the mean time will i still be covered as it was enough inthe small tank just different ways of delivery

If you keep the bio load the same you will be fine. If you add the additional rings you then increase your bio load slowly and it will balance again.

J

I totally agree w. John - your biomedia now is handling the fish you have in the 150. If you move just those fish into te 480, you'll only need the same amount of live media to support them.

If you add all of tr media you have, it won't take long for it all to colonize, but the bacteria pop'n will be relatively sparse. As your bioload grows, the more the bacteria will populate the new media.

the 150 has a high bio load as i usualy do 50 % water changes every two days or so sometimes more im hoping with all the discus getting close to adult i can start feeding less and cut down

Sure, higher water volume = longer for nitrAtes to get too high. And with adults less food will help a lot. More rings will not help (but wont hurt) with that unfortunately. Water change routine could be adjusted to -tested -NitrAte levels, with Discus you likely want to be below 20 if possible.

There is a possibility for bioballs (because of the smooth surface) to harbor nitrAte eating bacteria but only if Oxigen levels are really low; a dedicated filter with bio-balls and a very low flow rate might help but not for sure.

There are dinitification filters on the market that work with feeding the bacteria in the filter alcohol...have a look with google.

John