Leaking Tank

PistolPete

Today I noticed my 9 month old new 180 gallon is leaking water. The water is building up in the black plastic trim at the bottom. No its not splashing in there. It houses my diablo red aro and a ntt dat. I have no where elso to put them. I have contacted concept aquariums on a quote for a new one. The original purchas is from bow valley and i dont even wanna try and get any sort of warranty on it. Im done with them.

ANy other tank builders in edmonton? How hard is it to re silicone this 180? Does any company do this? I thought the tank would at least last 5 years what a joke.

You're going to have to completely drain the 180 to reseal it if you don't know exacly where the leak is coming from. It's not hard to reseal, as a matter of fact I resealed two tanks this weekend. Not 180s, but as long as you have the right tools it's a breeze. If you could house your fish at a friend's or a LFS that would be best. Of course you could just go and buy another tank and reseal the 180 at your leisure and keep it on hand for a rainy day ;)

Today I noticed my 9 month old new 180 gallon is leaking water. The water is building up in the black plastic trim at the bottom. No its not splashing in there. It houses my diablo red aro and a ntt dat. I have no where elso to put them. I have contacted concept aquariums on a quote for a new one. The original purchas is from bow valley and i dont even wanna try and get any sort of warranty on it. Im done with them.

ANy other tank builders in edmonton? How hard is it to re silicone this 180? Does any company do this? I thought the tank would at least last 5 years what a joke.

I've had something very similar happen to me before. It turned out to be a cracked bottom pane of glass, that would leak very slowly, and only drip when a certain amount of water had accumulated under the tank.

As has been mentioned though, you'll find out for sure once it's drained. I'm assuming you have gravel or some such at the bottom, thus unable to see any cracks.

good luck, never fun dealing with leaking tanks.

My first suggestion would be to run it about 1/2" low for a while and see how that works. IME, the rim is often where water escapes thru capillary action - water whicks under the trim. It's happened on a few tanks I've owned and doesn't seem to matter if they've been Euro-braced or not. Once I figured this out, I run the tanks a bit low and the leaks stop. If a tank is leaking from a seem, or a crack, you should be able to see - it'll look like a bubble where it's leaking.