Resting Male Bristlenose?

Guppygirl

I don't know if this should be here or in the bottom dweller section. I have a breeding trio of albino bristlenose plecos- thou there is another male in the tank- I don't believe he is breeding as I always see him. In the last month I have noticed what I think is three batches of fry. Major size differences in fry. First batch was like 12 fry, next batch was like 20, the last was a single fry with its egg sac (don't know if it is a survivor or an escapee-lol).

My question is how many batches of fry do you let your male have before you rest him? Do you rest males or will they stop themselves?

This is the longest I have kept pleco fry alive, now that I know you have to feed them all the time. :thumbs:

My WC BN seems to rest himself and goes about 3 weeks between spawning; but, then he will spawn w both females in his tank. My ALF BN also rests himself and only spawns once per month or so.

That being said, I did have an old WC male that spawned himself to death - he was always guarding eggs, he even died while guardin a clutch! But this guy was around 8yrs old and was spawning fairly consistently for several years.