First Diy Background

wmcinnes

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sorry for the long time it took me to reply, I had no indication that anyone wrote on here..

Used a jigsaw to cut out the main shapes and then sanded them down to created the rounded edges. Once it was all sanded down I took a small handsaw known as a compass saw and just cut random peices off and cut deep lines into the styrofoam giving the 'rock' some imperfections. Once that was done I ran a blow torch quickly over it to make a truer look.

The styrofoam was just rigid insulation I got from the local hardware store.

The cement was colored with cement pigment. I used the colors buff and terra cotta and then covered them with a black pigment layer leaving some of the other colors showing to give it a realistic/dimensional look.

Do not worry about browns as much because your rocks will be covered in a brown algae over time anyway.

No, the concrete was quickcrete quick setting cement

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82206&d=1235610176&thumb=1

and the color was a powder pigment that I mixed in with the cement. i found the pigment at RONA in Edmonton.

2" thick rigid insulation

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How thick did you go with the quickcrete? How many coats? What was the drying like? I've seen DIY instructions that say you need to do multiple coats and you have to let the coats dry slowly by keeping them moist or you get cracks. Did you experience that?

I definitely want to try something like this.