hmmm ... species possible?

SerLunchbox

So i have a 15 gallon aquarium that can become vacant soon. The male betta that was in just recently kicked the perverbial bucket.

So i have been looking at african cichlids for some time. Is this even possible or should i be looking towards the south amercian ones.

If you are worried about size in comparison to filteration, there is no worries there because i am severely over filtering my 15 gallon (about a 24.5 times filteration)

Just throwing it out there in case

Thanks

Yes there are africans that will work in a 15g.

I wouldn't put any malawis or victorians in such a small tank but there are some tangs that will work.

Shell dwellers would be a great choice for a 15g. I actually have a trio of N.caudopunctatus in my 15g. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/shel...ller_corner.php

I believe there are also some julies that will work in smaller tanks but i have never kept them so i'll let someone else tell you about them

excellent ... now i know that i will have some options out there. Also, i guess now i have to ask just how many shellies could i keep (do they stay out of their shells for long or just for food)? or how many Julidochromis dickfeldi or Julidochromis Ornatus or Julidochromis Transcriptus could i keep. I am not familiar with these species at all.

as i said ... i will have 24.5 times the filteration so that doesn't bother me. also would i have to change my substrate from the black gravel i have to say a sand?

working as many hours as i have been is a good thing.

So also, while i am thinking of it, where is a good quality place to get these fish? If golds is avoidable then great. Lets just say that i have had a really bad experience there.

It depends on what species you want to keep.

With any of the julies, you will probably end up having a single pair in that size tank once the fish decide to pair off.

for N. occelatus...you could end up with a trio (1 Male, 2 Females) if you have good barriers and break up the lines of sight.

If you want N. Brevis...I think the best way would be a pair and they hide alot int he shells.

The only ones I would recommend are either a colony of N. Multifasiatus OR N. similis as you can get away with having a nice sized colony that will tolerate multiple generations and broods. You could start off with 6-8 and in a few months end up with 30-40 of all sizes and they don't seem to hide in thier shells nearly as much....only to hide from a another fish or to breed.

well, it looks like i will go with N. Multifasiatus. They just look to be really nice in coloration and would look great with a black background and substrate

So ... does anyone happen to know where i can get some (or if anyone is selling any)

Please PM me

Also, thank you all very much for all the possibilities. i really appreciate it all. African cichlids is where i am not all the sure of when it comes to species and pairings etc.

Ask me a lot of other stuff and i can somewhat figure stuff out.

Once you go with Lake tang fishes, it's hard to turn back.

I find them to be much more interesting and challenging then Lake Malawi fish and they have MUCh more personality. I have kept N.Brevis, N.occelatis, N.multies and Lepidiolamprologus hecqui all of them very different in keeping. The multies are really cool as you can keep soooo many of them in a small tank with out any problems!!!!!!

Hey Blaine,

Shellies would be great for your 15 gallon. I think Gary at Tanks-A-Lot had some in the last time I was in there about 2-3 weeks ago. He had some w/c N. brevis and he may have had some multies as well. Riverfront usually has some L. occelatus in as well for ~$ 15-20 regular price.

You definitely need to go with sand though to really appreciate shelldwellers. My L. occelatus are constantly spitting mouthfuls and bulldozing it around. I used pool filter sand. I keep J. transcriptus pemba with my L. occelatus in a 33 gallon tank and they get along fine. I think either the a pair of J.ornatus or transcriptus would be alright in a 15 gallon tank.

How are your L 260's doing? Any fry yet?

David.