Lace Rock Or Texas Holey Rock In Edmonton

wmcinnes

Hmm... Might have to stop in there and take a look in person. They were always the cheapest when it came to buying quartz crystals and different types of stones. Maybe I'll take a jaunt tomorrow and include a window-shop at Big Al's... ;)

I can only imagine Bedrock Supply having cheaper prices. I've noticed that Big Al's has started carrying Flourite by the pound (under the name
"Magic Rock"), which Bedrock has been doing for years... Not sure who would come out cheaper, but since Bedrock seems to focus on the stuff used for jewelry (in other words, gem-quality or better - which is not what typical aquarists are looking for, as we like the rough stuff) they tend to sell the rough or "uncut" rock a LOT cheaper, depending on the type of mineral and demand.

Edited by JayWho

I went in to Bedrock Supply today and talked to the main guy there (whether the manager, owner, I dunno) and he said I was the second person recently to ask about Texas Holey Rock... ;)

I don't think he actually knew what it was, and didn't have any. He also said they didn't carry lava rock either and maybe to check with Canar, a decorative rock company as the best bet.

Might be worth going to Bedrock Supply if you want crushed gemstones to use as substrate, (or as part of the substrate) like peridot, jasper, etc or for unique quartz crystals or other large gemstone pieces.

When it comes to rocks used in the aquarium hobby they just don't seem to be familiar with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a pointer. Although texas holey rock is nice looking if you're going to spend that much on rock for cichlids you might as well get the right stuff guys. Granite is fairly predominant in lake malawi and is super cheap at most landscaping or rock supply ~45ยข/lb I just picked some up from our place in town which was on its last day of the season. Think I spent $5 lol and have a good little aquascape for my peacocks. I think I looks more natural too. Check it out if you like. The smaller pieces are generally referred to as railway ballast as its the same size as what is used on the tracks 6" I believe. And then you can pick larger pieces as well see below.

DSC_0300_zps5586a386.jpg

• 5 months later...

Sorry it's been so long since replying to this topic... Just figured I'd throw this out there... You raised a good point, khobbs, and I have over the past few months thought about it and would prefer to set up a more natural looking tank (since I haven't managed to get mine set up yet), IF I can find a buyer for my holey rock. The being said, if anyone is interested in buying it, feel free to let me know. The only caveat is that you would have to buy the whole lot - 150 lbs, at $3/lb (the same amount I paid for it).

• 2 weeks later...