M. Maccullochi "skull Creek"

vince0

Hello Folks,

I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of these from Rainbowrick a while back, and yesterday morning, I spotted my first fry!! I have the pair housed in a 20g pleco breeding tank, and I added a floating spawning mop in order to collect the eggs. About a week and a bit ago, I checked the mop and saw a few very small eggs so I moved it to a white bucket, added an airstone and heater. The heater was kept at approximatly 78C and the fry hatched in just over a week.

Last night I moved the mop over to a established 2.5 gallon tank to let the fry hatch out where I can see them better. I have a second 2.5g to move the newly hatched fry into that has lots of plant cover and little critters swimming around in it.

That's all I got for now, I'll try and snap pics if I can, and update as I got stuff to update.

Thanks

Vince

sweet, I also picked up a couple pairs from rainbowric but have not tried to collect eggs. They have been going like crazy though, always flaring the fins and chasing eachother. Once I finish with my GBR and Angel fry, I will give them a try. Let us know how they do. Congratz on the new fry, hope they do well for ya.

I had a mop in my praecox tank and moved it. I had fry showing up every day or so for several days - that was after seeing fry in the adult tank. Maybe just wait a few days before you move the mop back

I actually remove my eggs and drop them in a breeding net daily and that works well for me.

I had a mop in my praecox tank and moved it. I had fry showing up every day or so for several days - that was after seeing fry in the adult tank. Maybe just wait a few days before you move the mop back

Congrats guys, you are just starting to see these amazing prolific little fish. When the girls start to produce they eat like little pigs. If they don't get enough they will eat their eggs. Maybe invest in a package of frozen spiralina enhanced brine shrimp. Sally's is the best. I was getting 100 eggs in less than a week from one girl!

Ric

Hello Folks,

I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of these from Rainbowrick a while back, and yesterday morning, I spotted my first fry!! I have the pair housed in a 20g pleco breeding tank, and I added a floating spawning mop in order to collect the eggs. About a week and a bit ago, I checked the mop and saw a few very small eggs so I moved it to a white bucket, added an airstone and heater. The heater was kept at approximatly 78C and the fry hatched in just over a week.

Last night I moved the mop over to a established 2.5 gallon tank to let the fry hatch out where I can see them better. I have a second 2.5g to move the newly hatched fry into that has lots of plant cover and little critters swimming around in it.

That's all I got for now, I'll try and snap pics if I can, and update as I got stuff to update.

Thanks

Vince

Hey Vince, has Dan got any fry yet? ;) If your hatching tank is around 80 degrees, no fry in 8 days the mop is empty. Oh btw plecos love to eat fish eggs out of mops at night!

I had it around 80, but the tank I moved the mop to was a little lower in temp. I may have to invest in a cheap heater if I want to be successful long term. i think its down around 74F at the warmest. I did see a fry in the tub prior to moving the net.

Edited by vince0