Sump Question

jeremoose

Hey all, I'm looking into putting a sump in under my 50g and I just have a question here.. Do I have to use an overflow? Or can I just put the syphon right into the tank and drop it straight down to the sump?

So usually it goes Main Tank ==> Overflow ==> Syphon ==> Sump ==> Pump ==> Main Tank. Can I just drop the overflow from this setup?

The reason people use an overflow is to avoid the whole tank draining in case of a power outage - the overflow is only a few gallons, at most, an shouldn't overload the sump if the pump stops.

Thanks for the response. I'm going to solve the overflow in case of power outage problem by simply drilling a whole in the out-take about an inch below the water line, so if the power goes out the pressure inside the syphon will be broke once the tank drops by an inch or so. Otherwise there's no reason to use an overflow?

I had that exact set up in a 30gal for a while. The only problem is when a snail decides to go into the pipe and block it, then the tank flooded; but, that was solved by cutting a piece of eggcrate and placing it just into the pipe, so that most of the eggcrate was sticking out.

Go to MonsterFishKeepers.com and look in their DIY Forum. There is tonnes of info about making and HOB Overflow - it's cheap and easy!