Lyretail Swordtails

Vallisneria

Just looking for some clarification. I recently bought some Red eyed lyretail swords. Can you breed them? When I read up on them some people say it can be done and others say they can't because of the males elongated gonopodium. Then I went back to the store today to buy some more and asked for some females. The guy working said you can't breed them so it doesn't matter if you keep the m/f ratio in your tank.

So my question is, is it possible to breed lyretail swords or do you have to breed a lyretail female to a regular male for it to work?

I keep some lyretail swords and maybe my fella doesn't have an "elongated gonopodium" because I have had fry(and boy did that lady swordtail get ripped off :cry: !!!). Granted I haven't had as many spawns as my normal swords but someone's getting "friendly" :heart:

I keep some lyretail swords and maybe my fella doesn't have an "elongated gonopodium" because I have had fry(and boy did that lady swordtail get ripped off :cry: !!!). Granted I haven't had as many spawns as my normal swords but someone's getting "friendly" :heart:

See this is why i'm confused. Some people report being able to breed them while others say you can't because of the shape of their gonopodium, its too long to work properly :P

I'm guessing its one of those things that is possible but not very common. You probably have to luck out on getting a male that can breed properly.

Has anyone seen any non lyretail(normal finned) red eyed red swords around edmonton?

You need to cross a female with a regular male to get the lyretail you are looking for without artificial insemination. The only problem is finding someone who will let one of the females go.

See this is why i'm confused. Some people report being able to breed them while others say you can't because of the shape of their gonopodium, its too long to work properly :P

I'm guessing its one of those things that is possible but not very common. You probably have to luck out on getting a male that can breed properly.

Has anyone seen any non lyretail(normal finned) red eyed red swords around edmonton?

I too, have lyretails, and they are really difficult to get to breed! I have my Gold Lyre female (goldfish gold) in with my Red male, and three months have gone by, and she looks like she is ready to go, but I never, ever find babies!!! So I am doing the night watch now, just in case I am missing her birthing, and they are eating thier babies. If I do get any more lyre females, will be happy to share! she was mislabled in one of the big box stores, as a male LOL

Edited by rompergoddess

• 1 year later...

hello there..i'm just new here..and interested in breeding red high fin lyre tails. anybody can have some hint where to get these species as a start-up? i have a 60 and 75 gal. both planted aquariums ready to accommodate them. your input would be highly appreciated.