Sulawesi Snails

Vallisneria

Man, that is a lot of cash invested in snails. Hopefully your little breeding setup works for you.

I definitely want to get some of the orange rabbits. Did he say when the next order will be?

I spotted another baby chocolate, so that makes 2! Still haven't seen any from the spotted ones.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya these snails are expensive but i feed them well and they are very healthy,so they should pay off in the long run.

i think the new order comes in next month,after the new year

i have succusfully bread,apple,mystery,spixi,and rabbit snails not to mention pest mts and rrh

im just getting into the nerite snails,i think it will be a new challenge

my golden and chocolate rabbits still havent had babys,but my black spoted ones have pushed out 11 now.

25+11=36 blackspoted total

Edited by Sprucegruve

Found what might be a spotted baby. It looks an awful lot like the chocolates as its shell is all brown, no white tip. Its in with the spotteds so I'm assuming its theirs.

These are also some of the dumbest snails I've owned. They aren't very good at moving around and are constantly falling off the glass, decorations and plants. Then they spend the rest of the day trying to right themselves. They are a little clumsy and its kind of funny to watch them drag their big shells around.

My peacock gudgeon is not very fond of them being in their tank and any time they move he flares at them and stands guard, flaring his fins with his head down. Its kind of funny to watch. He gets pretty mad considering the snail is bigger then he is :P

my spoted black rabbit babys look just like you described them.

i guess i could have mentioned that they come out all black,im assuming the white tip comes in later on.

the snails look great

but yes they are a little slower or ditzy,but is that not the same with most good looking people lol

thats random your gudgeon doesent like them,my fish dont seem to notice them

Found second spotted baby :)

I can't wait for the orange rabbits to come in now. These snails are kind of cool.

I have to say the chocolates aren't my favorite. I don't really like the way they look with the sandstone kind of shell and they aren't as active as my spotted. Hopefully the babies look cooler then the adults. I'm curious as to what their shells look like without the coating. Grow babies grow!

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe something to watch for with these snails ... I have 3 adult chocolate rabbits (plus two babies) in with some yellow shrimp and when I looked in on their tank yesterday morning, there was one of the snails chowing down on the tail of one of the shrimp ... while it was still alive. Tried to get it free but the snail retreated into its shell and trapped the tail of the shrimp and wouldn't let go. It resumed its feeding after a few minutes, all the while the shrimps legs and antennae were flailing away. I came back later and the shrimp was dead and the snail had eaten probably half of its tail. Not sure if the shrimp was going through a moult, or it was on its way out already (although it appeared healthy the day before), but it may be that the snails can occasionally be opportunistic if they catch a shrimp off guard. It was interesting drama in the tank if nothing else :D

Hmm... Better hope the guys at AC see this thread - they've got some nice orange shrimp in with some of these snails! :o

I was really surprised to see this, maybe just a fluke. As mentioned, I too would have thought that the shrimp would have darted away as soon as the snail moved in. I'll be watching my other snail-shrimp combo tanks though. My gold Sulawesi snails have been with a bunch of red sakuri shrimp for months and there's never been any issues that I noticed.

I'm looking for some feedback from those members who keep these species of snails. I saw some golden rabbit snails in Calgary on Boxing Day and really wanted to get some but was told that they are voracious plant eaters? Is that your experience?