75 Gallon Dry Start (Updatefeb 29)

Jayba

17 grams if dry of kno3...

i figured it out so you get 2.5ml of kno3, 2.5ml of kh2po4 and 5 ml of trace every 10 min..

If you use one 2L jug for macro's and one 2L for micro's you will get 2 weeks of dosing per bottle.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have been letting it keep growing and is looking like another few weeks or so, then I'll fill it with water, slowly let it get safe for fish. I have 6 Roseline Sharks I am going to put in there, looking for rummy nose tetras and flame moss for the tree. Hopefully it all comes together as planned. Here is a pic from the other day.

f6336976.jpg

Looks great! Like advice from UBroke...trim it before adding water and make sure the roots are rooted nicely.

I had HC planted on my Fluval Flora (7.9 gal) using dry start. HC grew lushly, green & looked very healthy.

After 3 weeks..I then added water, and that when the problem started. The HC started to uproot and died.

My mistake were...

- didn't trim it when adding the water

- didn't use the proper substrate (diameter was too big for HC's root)

- didn't have enough substrate (it's not deep enough)

Some people said that 3 weeks are still too short, I should've waited for another more weeks before adding water.

but of well...

Good luck with your HC...and I'm looking forward to see more pictures & tips from what you've experienced.

I've been trying to grow HC emmersed, but I can't get mine to actually grow :\ I just hangs out being green, flowers, but doesn't send out runners. I don't get it? Looks like yours is coming along nicely though.

what is it planted in?..do you spray with water/ferts?

I've been trying to grow HC emmersed, but I can't get mine to actually grow :\ I just hangs out being green, flowers, but doesn't send out runners. I don't get it? Looks like yours is coming along nicely though.

Its planted in ada amazon soil hope it holds. I spray it with water daily. I use water from my cichlid tank. No ferts yet. Lights 12 hours a day. In 2 weeks I will fill it with water if all goes well.

Edited by Jayba

The dwarf hair grass is quite intrusive and may think about ripping it out. Was looking for some thin Val's or something. Not sure. It's a work in progress. Flame moss is what I want on the tree, but it's really hard to find.

Ya I have never liked the dwarf grass we get in Canada. Eleocharis Belem is a better choice but very tough to find..

I think you could get away with any small leafed stem plant where you have the hairgrass. didiplis diandra etc.

Edited by ubr0ke

Two different dry's. One is just mineralized dirt. The other is fine gravel with a cm of dirt underneath. I don't spray water or ferts.Thought all the dew hanging out did it for water and the dirt for ferts. I'll try it though. See what happens.

--

I had ferts in a spray bottle last year. But some biofilm goo collected in the bottom and the nossil clogged. Whats up with that?

Edited by Iceturf

Two different dry's. One is just mineralized dirt. The other is fine gravel with a cm of dirt underneath. I don't spray water or ferts.Thought all the dew hanging out did it for water and the dirt for ferts. I'll try it though. See what happens.

--

I had ferts in a spray bottle last year. But some biofilm goo collected in the bottom and the nossil clogged. Whats up with that?

Your mineralized soil might be low in one of the nutrients needed. phosphates perhaps. Its really just a simple process of elimination.

Plants need the following to grow.

Light. which you have..not sure of how much but ill guess its adequate since hc is not a light sensitive plant.

carbon. its a dry start so carbon is non limiting.

nutrients..unknown...so adding ferts has to be the solution...

Add excel to your spray bottle. That will keep it from growing any mold. Keep one bottle for macro's and one for micro's, or use the water from a tank you dose both micro's and macro's. add excel either way. 5ml will do.

• 3 weeks later...