75 Gallon Dry Start (Updatefeb 29)

Jayba

I pulled the fish out of this tank so I could grow a carpet HC and Hair Grass, we shall see how it goes, I am thinking a couple of months to get it filled in. Maybe more, hopefully not. Here is a pic from tonight

vcm_s_kf_repr_882x588.jpg

Edited by Jayba

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hc looks the same grown in or out of water..

jayba...words of advice...trim before flooding..and once flooded crank co2 and slowly bring down to fish safe levels over a couple weeks..

I will carbonate it for a while, never thought to slowly wean it off the CO2. Good idea.

Thats a pretty nice tank Jay. I always liked the look of the rocks and the drift wood like that. Are you going to be using CO2?

It will be full hi tech, co2, ph controller, auto dosing (if I ever figure out the math for the IV pump I'm using, and the solutions)

IV pump?!?! Wow haha that's quite involved :P Do you have a separate one for trace? I thought trace and N/P/K shouldn't be mixed together in one solution.

Looks like it'll go well. I'd break up the big HC clumps into 2-4 plantlet chunks and plant those I usually get at least double the spreading speed that way

IV pump?!?! Wow haha that's quite involved :P Do you have a separate one for trace? I thought trace and N/P/K shouldn't be mixed together in one solution.

You can mix them as long as the iron is chelated. If the iron isn't chelated, it will combine with the phosphate and form a precipitate.

You can mix them as long as the iron is chelated. If the iron isn't chelated, it will combine with the phosphate and form a precipitate.

add vitamin c and you are correct...

I have no idea if it is cheleated or not, it is the standard fare I got at All Seasons in Edmonton.

Looks like it'll go well. I'd break up the big HC clumps into 2-4 plantlet chunks and plant those I usually get at least double the spreading speed that way

The IV pump is something they were going to scrap at the hospital, so I nabbed it when I worked maintainence there. So I bypassed the alarm and it should be good to go. It will do 2 solutions, the crummy part is it has to do at least 10ml per hour, so thats where the confusing math will come into play.

I started with the HC in really small chunks, but was going bonkers, so I cut the roots into 1 cm cubed pieces and went that route. Lazy I know.

is there a reservior for the iv pumps?...if so, how big?..

They will actually pull liquid from anything. I was thinking a 2 liter bottle, depending on the volume I had to put through. At 10 ml an hour is 240 ml a day, so it will have to be pretty big one. The pump will must draw the same volume from each bottle at the same time, so it will be fun to figure out.lol

Edited by Jayba

I was bored...so if you can get the bottles to draw 5ml from each bottle every 10 min I figured out your dosing.

macro 2 liter bottle.

5g of kh2po4 in 900ml of water...0.75ppm every 24 hours. 2.5ml every 10 min..

70 ml of kno3 in 900 ml of water....2.5ppm every 24 hours. 2.5ml every 10min

**figured out using 250g of kno3 in 1000ml**

micro 2 litre bottle.

13.5g of trace in 1.9L of water...0.2ppm of iron every 24 hours. 5ml every 10 min..