L134 Peckoltia Compta

jvision

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved some fish around the last few days and found 2 male and 2 ripe female Peckoltia tigers in a tank. I decided to give them a few caves but discovered I am short on caves so threw in what I had. This morning there was 2 trapped fish in the caves.But as you can see the fish on the right is a female blocking the entrance the male is inside. I'm not sure what will happen there. The male on the left has a female trapped in the cave.

049.jpg

Disaster has struck. The wrapper is off by the way. New inexperienced dad kicked out the eggs, all I found were 3 and threw them in a breeding net. Frick! Oh well, back to daily water changes with RO water. So much work. I simulated a dry season before, so as soon as I started the wet season, boom, they got busy.

I pulled the female yesterday. He beat her up so bad her black and yellow stripes are gone on the right rear corner panel. Tempted to pull that male and let another male have a go, as he has the best location etc. I need to make some new caves, looks like I am off to get some pipe tomorrow from my old work. I'll make these ones 1/4 inch bigger, see if the females like them. If they work I will post how I make them out of electrical conduit.

I have a male long fin albino bristlenose that kicks eggs out onto the sand almost every time. He will look after about 40 and any extras he refuses to care for and boots them out. I swear that stupid fish can count. I have to check 2 or 3 times daily after they breed so I can be ready to pick them up and put them in an egg tumbler and almost all hatch and survive.

The slightly larger cave should work better but only time will tell. Normally after the first few attempts at breeding the inexperience tends to go away and the male might not be so rough on his mates and should look after at least some of the eggs but again only time will tell.